New to saltwater and sand filter.

Hey all plz help I'm not rly new to pools but all mine have gone bad lol. So like an idiot I got the biggest pool I've ever had. 22x52 steel frame. I added the 15000 gal sand filter and same size saltwater chlorintor. It rained as I was filling pool so it wasn't rly clear to begin with. I went ahead and added the recommended salt and it got worse. I currently have the boost mode going. Anybody help I'm new to the saltwater system does it usually go green after u add the salt?

If you have metals in the water, it can turn greenish. It's really rusty orange, but the blue pool makes it look green. It's clear, but green tinted, right? You can still see straight to the bottom on the opposite wall?

Also, do you have a test kit? Have you adjusted anything or just added salt?

If you have metals in the water, it can turn greenish. It's really rusty orange, but the blue pool makes it look green. It's clear, but green tinted, right? You can still see straight to the bottom on the opposite wall?

Also, do you have a test kit? Have you adjusted anything or just added salt?
No I haven't adjusted anything I was told using the salt chlorintor I wudnt have to do hardly anything. To good to be true I guess. I mean it's not like cloudy it's weird blue green color. I do not have a test kit. I live in far southeast oklahoma

There is a very strong possibility you will need a metal sequestrant, such as Jacks Magic Purple, which is designed to work in salt water pools. Are you on a well?

I also suspect your filter will take some of the tint out of the water, so leave it running for a few days (dial down the swg if the free chlorine gets too high.)

High ph is another factor that can cause metals to come out of solution, so you will need to control that.
Once you have a good test kit and a basic understanding of the TFP treatment approach, I suspect you WILL find that your SWG is relatively trouble free ;)

See the links in my signature for test kit, cya:FC ratio, and an article about metals, and welcome to the forum!

SWG's add chlorine slowly and steadily, but when starting up a new pool, it can take it a few days to get your FC level up to where it needs to be. That's why most people will advise you to add chlorine in the form of bleach to your new pool just to get it started, then let the SWG take over and maintain the proper level. You'll also need to add enough stabilizer (CYA) to your water to keep the sun from burning off your chlorine faster than your SWG can make it. 70-80 ppm is the recommendation for saltwater pools.

If the green is not due to metals in the water, then it's possible that some algae took hold before your SWG was able to get enough chlorine in the water to prevent it. If so, you'll need to perform a SLAM to get rid of it.

Can you post some test results to help us diagnose your problem further?

SWG's add chlorine slowly and steadily, but when starting up a new pool, it can take it a few days to get your FC level up to where it needs to be. That's why most people will advise you to add chlorine in the form of bleach to your new pool just to get it started, then let the SWG take over and maintain the proper level. You'll also need to add enough stabilizer (CYA) to your water to keep the sun from burning off your chlorine faster than your SWG can make it. 70-80 ppm is the recommendation for saltwater pools.

If the green is not due to metals in the water, then it's possible that some algae took hold before your SWG was able to get enough chlorine in the water to prevent it. If so, you'll need to perform a SLAM to get rid of it.

Can you post some test results to help us diagnose your problem further?
I'm working on getting a test kit I don't live close to a place that has em. I appreciate the replies I just can't believe its already got algae in it I just got it full Sunday. We had a bunch of rain and I think maybe the lake we get water from was turned over or just plain dirty. As far as the metal in the water I never thot of that. I watched videos on YouTube when I was buying this stuff and their pools were crystal clear. That's what I want lol

I'm working on getting a test kit I don't live close to a place that has em. I appreciate the replies I just can't believe its already got algae in it I just got it full Sunday. We had a bunch of rain and I think maybe the lake we get water from was turned over or just plain dirty. As far as the metal in the water I never thot of that. I watched videos on YouTube when I was buying this stuff and their pools were crystal clear. That's what I want lol

Attachments

• 20160503_102249.jpg
    20160503_102249.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 42
their pools were crystal clear. That's what I want lol

The good folks here will get you there in no time if you'll just do as they suggest. But a good test kit is the foundation for everything else. Without that, we're just guessing.

Wal Mart sells an HTH 6-way test kit for $25 that will do almost everything you need except for the FAS-DPD chlorine test, which tells you free chlorine (FC) vs combined chlorine (CC). The OTO test in the Wal Mart kit only gives total chlorine (TC). But it'll do for a few days while you're waiting for a proper kit to arrive.

HTH 6-Way Test Kit - Walmart.com

There are two test kits that we recommend- The Taylor's K-2006 (not the 2005!) and the TF-100. Both are available from TFTestkits.net

The price of the TF-100 is worth every penny to me, as it guides me so that I don't need to add any unnecessary potions to the water. It tells me that my pool is sanitary because it tests the free chlorine as well as the contamination level.

Please consider ordering one online ASAP so that you're not wasting time and money and can get to swimming instead! :)

Yip :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to TFP :) and another from OK... nice...

You do have a pretty green going on there, we can get you going... How would you like to tackle this?

Because you are just starting out you have no bad habits, and that is a great thing :) Can you do some things to start out, the following is my recommendation.

1. A great test kit, you will love this one I promise, it has worked great for me and I also have a salt water pool :) TFTestkits.net check the box on the right for the K-1766 salt test and the XL option... OK, now if you want to test very easy check the box next to the speedsstir but you DO NOT have to have it but its nice :)

This part is a road trip :)

2. take a bottle of water to leslies or any other pool place and have them test everything including metal, don't buy anything from them, you don't need it and they are expensive...

3. go by atwoods and buy 4 cases (8 bottles) of 10% liquid chlorine, it says pool shock on the blue label, this will be 20 dollars, if more tell them it is 10 dollars a case on sale :) walk 10 feet down the aisle and grab 2 bottles of muriatic acid, you will use this to drop your TA and PH, they also have a OTO basic test for chlorine and PH, if you do not have one already grab that (you will get one in your TF100) but you need something now until you receive your good test kit..

That is it for your road trip

When you get home post up what leslies found for metals in your water, this will give us an idea where to go next... Do not add anything to the pool yet..

The great news, once you get your pool balanced you will be on easy street, salt water pools are very easy to take care of but you will still need to test and take care of it...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.