PICS Included: Newer TFP user / Problem areas with Algae

Nov 6, 2015
Vista, CA
Thank you everyone in advance for all of the input!

Bought a pool (that came with a house) 5 months ago. Previous owner only ran the pump 3 times a week and did not know much about how to take care of it (cloudy, algae problems, calcium scaling, etc.). After reading through this site and learning a TON, I've got my pool looking good, and hopefully balanced too!

My problem right now is certain recurring problem algae areas. Or actually, I just would like to find out what is normal. The same areas that had green algae stains on the plaster 5 months ago, and took a couple of months to go away (after balancing the pool when I moved in), are coming back now about once or twice a week. I just hit it with the brush and it goes away immediately. Is this normal? I noticed that the algae didn't appear during the colder winter months, so is this completely normal, now that the water is consistently over 70 degrees?

Thanks again and below are my latest test stats:

PH 7.5
FC 6.5
CC 0.0
TA 90
CH 400
CYA 90
Salt 3400
CSI -.32

IMG_3710.jpgIMG_3699.jpg

Last edited:
Your CYA is a skosh high, so your FC is a touch low for that. You probably also have some areas of poor circulation that would benefit from more frequent brushing along with a little more FC. And yes, algae is somewhat stunted in cooler water, so your 70 degrees is making them reproduce.

Your pool is gorgeous otherwise! How are you testing the water??

I'm using the Taylor Test kit K-2006. Yes, the problem areas are indeed in the spots that are not circulated as well.

What would an ideal FC level be? In one article here for "Water balance for SWGs" it had stated 4-6ppm is the recommended level. The calculator says 4ppm I think?... What FC level would be too much?

Algae is not normal. Well, not around here, anyway.

The general answer as to why you keep getting algae is because you don't have enough chlorine in the water. The specific answer is that you likely have poor circulation in those areas, so they get shortchanged on chlorine and algae grows.

First play with the return eyeballs and see if you can't direct some flow into the problem areas. You might even have to modify things. I discovered I could friction-fit ½" PVC fittings into the eyeballs which opened up a whole world of possibilities... 90s, 45s, Tees, whatever I want to direct water where I want it. It's not aesthetically pleasing, but they just pull out if I don't want company to see them (Actually so kids don't play with them).

The second part of the solution is a SLAM. You've got algae spores in the water, and they're surviving long enough to reproduce. You have to jack the chlorine way up and keep it way up while you brush every single inch of that pool, including beneath steps and behind lights and around those stools and any rock surfaces that are exposed to pool water. The scrubbing is going to be the killer, not the bleach. Yes, bleach. Your SWG won't be able to make enough FC fast enough to keep up. The directions are here: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Algae is not normal. Well, not around here, anyway.

The general answer as to why you keep getting algae is because you don't have enough chlorine in the water. The specific answer is that you likely have poor circulation in those areas, so they get shortchanged on chlorine and algae grows.

First play with the return eyeballs and see if you can't direct some flow into the problem areas. You might even have to modify things. I discovered I could friction-fit ½" PVC fittings into the eyeballs which opened up a whole world of possibilities... 90s, 45s, Tees, whatever I want to direct water where I want it. It's not aesthetically pleasing, but they just pull out if I don't want company to see them (Actually so kids don't play with them).

The second part of the solution is a SLAM. You've got algae spores in the water, and they're surviving long enough to reproduce. You have to jack the chlorine way up and keep it way up while you brush every single inch of that pool, including beneath steps and behind lights and around those stools and any rock surfaces that are exposed to pool water. The scrubbing is going to be the killer, not the bleach. Yes, bleach. Your SWG won't be able to make enough FC fast enough to keep up. The directions are here: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Thank you, Richard. Yes, this makes a lot of sense although I was hoping to not have to slam. Oh well, probably for the best. I like the idea about the PVC fittings, and may try that to get the circulation directed over there. Yes, you are right, the area where the stools are is a problem area!

really nice looking pool, this is what I made.. It is sprayed with plastidip from dip your car and still looks that way 9 months later... you can use any color from their website, the trick is 5 to 7 coats starting light and getting heavy.. works great for directing water :)

FY7qXOdh.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.