pH, TA, and borates adjustment order?

It depends on the situation. Generally pH and TA are adjusted together to some extent and you want those in line before increasing the borate level.

Is this a general question or are you trying to adjust something?

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

I'm in the process of opening and happened to notice on Pool Math that the 3 seem to interact.

I'm waiting for FC to drop from SLAM level to normal before I test pH again (it was 7.2 before starting the SLAM). I planned on making changes to pH and TA first, if needed. Last will be borates, via boric acid.

Does this plan sound reasonable?

Not noticing the interaction on Pool Math in the past, I didn't adjust in any particular order and didn't experience any obvious problems.

With an SWG I wouldn't raise your TA much above 80 unless your pH is constantly dropping. Adjust that and your pH first. Don't forget to overshoot your pH a bit since the boric acid will cause it to drop slightly.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips.

Yep, I'm well aware of keeping TA down with the SWCG (I participated on PF for years before coming over here). Since adding borates and lowering TA to 70-80, I haven't had to add a drop of acid in 4 years......pH settles at 7.5 and stays there all season. :)

So, does my plan sound reasonable?

Oh yeah, plus you know your pool better than anybody else. If you can get the pH to settle at 7.5 all season then you certainly have a good grasp on what you are doing!

Newb here but I just did it.
My TA was 120.
I lowered it by dropping PH to 7.2 with MA several days in a row and aerating to get the PH back up.

Then I added Borax and had to use a bit more MA to get PH down. Today, I added some Baking soda as my PH was a little low and I had pushed my TA down to 60.

So yes, it's a dance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.