Switching to a VS pump.

Hey all.....im thinking about changing pumps this year from a 2hp superpump to a Hayward VS superpump.
I have the VS pump in hand.
I have some concerns about the plumbing.
I currently am running a 2hp superpump with 2" plumbing all around. The VS pump is only a 1.5hp with 1.5" threads on the housing. Reducing the plumbing is no big deal but im wondering what the effect of the smaller pump with the big plumbing is going to do to my flow back into the pool. As it is when i run the waterfall my jets dont get the best pressure and i usually turn the stairs off for optimal water movement.

So i guess my question is.......does the new VS have the same output as my old 2.0hp pump or will i be disappointed with how the pool runs.
I dont want to do all this work only to have the pool run worse all to save some money on my electric.
Would any of you service techs do this for your customers?

The larger plumbing will allow the pump to move more water than it would with smaller pipe ... absolutely no issue here, in fact larger pipe is usually better.

But, I think the VS pump is only a 1.5HP vs your apparent 2HP, so the VS is likely to move less water at full speed than your existing pump does.

You can look up the head curves on the Hayward website and confirm.

I think you would be happier with a larger pump. I replaced a 2hp single speed with a 3hp intelliflo VS pump. I can dial it down and save a lot on my energy cost, but if I want extra power it's always available. With single speep or two speed, you want the smallest power that will work, but with a VS pump there is no penalty (other than initial cost) for having a larger pump. You can always dial it down, but the extra capacity is always there. Same theory as buying an oversized SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.