Hello! Buying house with a pool, can anyone tell me about this equipment?

May 2, 2016
Central Coast, CA
Greetings folks!

I'm in contract on a house on the central coast of CA. One of the reasons I liked the house was the pool! My family had a pool many many years ago and I took care of it as a teenager, now I'm getting into my own thing.

I will admit I am out of touch. We had a cartridge filter and I used to brush and vacuum the pool myself, and we had this octopus thing that puttered around the pool and flailed its arms... but now there are robots, sand filters, etc. (chems I understand I'll need to just read the forum posts about so no worries.. yet).

Anyway, could someone tell me what they see here, and is there anything I should be concerned about (or investigate further)? I'd appreciate it.

Also I think that square thing is a heater, are they expensive to run?

Thanks,
entendu

y3LOCj2.jpg

1AGRt6E.jpg

LOGZEcR.jpg

Last edited:
One of the most helpful links for you is going to be Pool School - Visual Encyclopedia of Pool Equipment Check that out and see what matches what you have.

You have a natural gas/propane heater there (square thing). They are fairly expensive to run and if you're going to run the heater, make sure you have a method of covering the pool at night, such as a solar cover to keep that heat in the pool if temps are below your pool temp at night.

Those ribbed hoses laying all over the place are vacuum or suction cleaner hoses. Better to hang those elsewhere or put in a bin so you can keep the equipment clear.

That central lever on the multiport valve... does is click or stop in place at each different setting location or is the spring lever stuck, not forcing the handle into each stop location? Might have to repair/rebuild that valve if so. Could just need a little clean out.

Other than that, looks like everything is there and you have some nice Jandy 3-way valves on the suction and return sides.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Ok I'm not the best at this but lets see what we can do for you.

You have two suction lines coming in I suspect one from the main drain at the bottom of the pool the other from the skimmer. Need to check to see if you have dual drains or the drain has a VGB compliant cover.

The suction goes to a pump -- Can't tell you anything there.

That goes into what appears to be a sand filter. Then through a multiport valve of some kind. Somewhere in here a chlorine tab feeder is hooked in.

Then to a heater and then to the returns which return water to the pool.

I would call a pool service come over and inspect and turn all this stuff on and tell you how it works and if any of it is problematic.

Where ar you on the central coast?

We were somewhat in the same boat when we bought our house. The previous owner did all his own maintenance and the equipment was (and is) pretty old. We knew we would replace it over a few years and so far everything has worked (sort of) well. We bought a whole house warranty at our old home and did the same at the new one. Not cheap, but it did buy peace of mind in the first year or two of ownership. We pay about $700/year with a service fee of $100 per repair. They cover pool and spa equipment in addition to all home appliances. If they can't fix it, they'll replace it (although we haven't had to test how that works). So far they've repaired the thermocouple on the heater and leaky seal/connection on the pump. Those service calls alone would probably cost less than the amount we paid but we've also had 2 expensive kitchen appliance repairs in that time, each of which would have cost the entire annual premium or more if we paid out of pocket.

Thanks for the info! I'll be out there this weekend for the first time straightening up. I just bought a robot to help keep it clear during move-in week and one of the recommended test kits :p

- - - Updated - - -

Oh the multiport valve, it seems to work but the lever spring is broken or something. Once I get in there I might have more questions.