Pool Equipment Question

Oct 13, 2014
Oklahoma City, Ok
I have roughly a 13 to 16k gallon pool, with a 1hp centurion pump and a hayward s244t sand filter. I have an Autopilot RC-42 salt system. I had trouble keeping the pool clean last season with my chlorine levels always fluctuation off the wall. i was running my pump 10 hrs a day in 5hr cycles. What i was wondering is if my equipment is adequate for my pool size or i was just not running long enough. last season was my first year owning a pool so i am not very experienced and most of the time i was getting my levels read by the pool stores (leslies, and fox) in my area (Oklahoma City). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Pool Dim.jpg
20141010_172404.jpg
20141010_172315.jpg

Frankly I think your equipment is OK. I would get a larger filter but that is just my preference.

I think you have residual algae that is why your numbers go crazy.

You would do better if you do two things.

1. Start testing your own water. Get a K-6000 or TF 100 test kit Generally a kit with the FAS/DPD chlorine test.

2. SLAM your pool and perform an OCLT

So start by reading Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

This can be a lot less work and a lot more margaritas by the pool

Frankly I think your equipment is OK. I would get a larger filter but that is just my preference.

I think you have residual algae that is why your numbers go crazy.

You would do better if you do two things.

1. Start testing your own water. Get a K-6000 or TF 100 test kit Generally a kit with the FAS/DPD chlorine test.

2. SLAM your pool and perform an OCLT

So start by reading Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

This can be a lot less work and a lot more margaritas by the pool

I bought the TF-100 but i am not very good reading the tests. what is a OCLT? i completely drained my pool two days ago powerwashed it and are in the process of filling it back up. so i have no chemicals other than 2 lbs of choline shock that i put on it last night. I also bought the laterals for my pool filter because i was getting sand in the pool, and bought zeolite because the san in the filter was getting clumped up when i opened to see the laterals. do you thing the new sand will help too?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.