Brand new pool owner

Apr 20, 2016
Blue Ridge Virginia
Hello, I have been lurking around and doing a lot of reading here. I finally got my pool installed and full of water on Saturday. I have a 24 foot round Radiant AG pool, 14,000 gallons. I have my TF-100 test kit and below are the initial readings. Not really wanting to keep the pool store in my life since its about a 40 minute drive. Below are my test readings. I have read pool school and just want a little feed back on my next steps. Its all brand new to me and a little overwhelming to be honest. I can go out today on my lunch break and get all supplies needed.

CYA- 18
Total Chlorine- .1
Free Chlorine-.1
PH-7.2
TA-81

Hello, I have been lurking around and doing a lot of reading here. I finally got my pool installed and full of water on Saturday. I have a 24 foot round Radiant AG pool, 14,000 gallons. I have my TF-100 test kit and below are the initial readings. Not really wanting to keep the pool store in my life since its about a 40 minute drive. Below are my test readings. I have read pool school and just want a little feed back on my next steps. Its all brand new to me and a little overwhelming to be honest. I can go out today on my lunch break and get all supplies needed.

CYA- 18
Total Chlorine- .1
Free Chlorine-.1
PH-7.2
TA-81

Pool math says:
113 oz of bleach
40 oz of borax
50 oz of baking soda.

Does that sound right? Am I missing anything?

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Music to my ears ... "Already have the TF-100". :goodjob: So let's talk results shall we:
CYA - round-up to 20 ... still a bit low. So plan on increasing at least to 30 ppm. Make sure to use the Poolmath Calculator and practice it well. It's fantastic.
FC - That's what we look for based on your CYA. Your Target FC is 3 right now, but if you increase CYA to 30 your FC should be 4. I would recommend an FC in the range of 3-5, and NEVER below 2 or else algae can set in. So put a little liquid bleach in there right away.
pH - is a little low. For a day or two not too bad. Watch if though. If it doesn't get up to the mid 7s in a couple days, you might want to add a little Borax to be safe.
TA is fine

The only thing I didn't mention was CC. You usually check that immediately after testing FC. CC is your transitional chlorine waiting to be oxidized by the sun. If it starts to climb over .5, you need to watch everything closely. Could be trouble. So other than a couple adjustments above, you should be fine. Make your adjustments with the pump running and re-check in about 15 minutes or so to ensure the FC is back up. CYA takes a day or two to record on the new test.

Hope that helps. Let is know if you have any more questions.

Welcome bmoore2!

How confident are you in your test readings? The reason I ask it that it would be very hard to get your results. CYA is only accurate to within about 10, FC to .5, and TA to about 10. Are you sure the results are correct? I only ask because I've been there too. If the test isn't correct you won't be putting in the right chemicals.

Just had to stop in and say "Howdy" bmoore2!.

bmoreswim

PS - If TFP made one of those maps with little dots representing people's locations, yours might be all by itself. But you aren't alone here!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.