Chlorinator and VS Pump

Apr 24, 2010
Just installed a variable speed pump. Trying to dial in speeds. My RG60G is throwing a water alarm unless I'm running at 45%. Seems awfully fast and not what others are able to run at. Was hoping I could run it slower.

Reading some other threads, it sounded like salt level could be a factor (although I'm not getting a low salt alarm). If my salinity is low (but not low enough for the generator to throw an alarm), could that possibly be causing this?

Also, if my cell is dirty, could that possibly be a factor as well?

The Circupool SWG's do require a faster flow rate than the Pentair and Hayward generators. I think Circupool was 25 gpm and the others 15 gpm, recalling from memory. I am not for sure, but I don't think the salt would effect the flow rate. Dirty cell, only if dirty enough to impede flow, which is unlikely.

The design of that particular cell (upside down U) makes it prone to collecting gas within the cell especially at low RPM and eventually will trigger a low flow alarm. Not much you can do other than run at higher RPM. Several forum members have reported the same issue.

Just installed a variable speed pump. Trying to dial in speeds. My RG60G is throwing a water alarm unless I'm running at 45%. Seems awfully fast and not what others are able to run at. Was hoping I could run it slower.

Reading some other threads, it sounded like salt level could be a factor (although I'm not getting a low salt alarm). If my salinity is low (but not low enough for the generator to throw an alarm), could that possibly be causing this?

Also, if my cell is dirty, could that possibly be a factor as well?

My RJ 60 is the same way , iam running it at 60% to get good flow with no lights ..
Consider yourself lucky to run it at 45% !!!!!!

My Circupool rj30+ operates with the flow rate at 20 GPM. Per the instructions, if you operate at the lower flow rates you should install the SWG upside down so the gas does not collect in the chamber. Also check that your flow switch is oriented properly.

Thanks all. I read through some older posts and saw some suggestions. I called CircuPool and confirmed the unit can be rotated 180 degrees (upside down). I did that and I can now run it very low (15%) without an alarm. However, I do build up quite a gas bubble. I settled in at 30%, which doesn't allow a bubble to form.

I don't, but it's exactly as it sounds. My cell is installed in a horizontal section of pipe. I simply loosened both unions and rotated it 180 degrees. The clear plastic section is now facing the ground.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't, but it's exactly as it sounds. My cell is installed in a horizontal section of pipe. I simply loosened both unions and rotated it 180 degrees. The clear plastic section is now facing the ground.

I'd like to see this too. I usually run my pump very slowly, and this contradicts what was posted in another thread. But, it sounds pretty simple.
Look on page 7, notes for Fig. 1. It says it can't be run upside down.
http://www.circupool.com/mobile/downloads/rj-g_usersguide.pdf

My system/cell is three years old. I called CircuPool and spoke to Jason. He said there was no problem with inverting the cell if it is mounted horizontally. As long as it is oriented properly in terms of direction of flow, you won't have any problems.

Give them a call if you have any concerns. But this simple adjustment solved my problem.

The RJ manual shows it being installed inverted when using a low water flow rate.

The online manual for the RJ is different online than it is in the box. I mounted mine upside-down as the manual in the box said, and it is working great. In fact, it's working better than my CompuPool CPSC48 did, as it would collect some air in the top of the cell, the RJ is not collecting any air at all. I'm extremely pleased so far.

Also, my CPSC constantly said I had low salt, even when I cleaned the cell and recalibrated the system (which is a pain, by the way). The RJ says I have 3500 ppm, which is what my Taylor drop test says.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.