Autopilot Digital DIG 60 Can't seem to get it to start up

vinnie

Mar 12, 2009
I've had all my equipment setup for a few days now. I've had the Intelliflo in manual mode running at 45GPM and my pool has gotten very clean and clear. Last night I added 1200 lbs of water softener salt to the pool. This morning most of it seemed to be disolved. So I went ahead and connected the two connectors to the pool pilot. (On a side note, the connector that goes onto the cell seems to go on either way, is this correct). Right away the pool pilot showed to add salt. It showed purifier off and the status light was blinking. I went thru some of the menus and I setup my pool volume (46,000), I setup the programming for a single speed pump and setup the cell for the DIG60. The display still shows purifier off and the status light blinks. Now the add salt is showing 738lbs.???

Any ideas? #1 - Why is it still showing purifier off?? #2 - why does it think I need to add 738lbs of salt after i've already added 1200lbs?

Vinnie has no main drains in his pool and is only working off skimmers.

The salted water is heavier than non-salt water and will sink and stay towards the bowl/bottom of the pool. Therefore, the skimmers are drawing in a lower concentration of salinity and the Pool Pilot is only reading the results of this.

You need to stir the bottom water so your circulation moves the bottom water around more. Actual pool usage, an automatic pool cleaner, redirecting the jets towards the bottom of the pool, or brushing will move the bottom dwelling salt water around.
Ultimately, you'll need to make overalll adjustments so that you're getting good circulation throughout your pool, or you'll end up with poor circulation in some areas, called Dead Spots, and may accumulate algae in those areas. Longer run times on high speed and redirecting your jets may be one solution.

It would be a huge help if you could put your basic pool specs into your signature. This is done in the User Control Panel, see the link near the top left of every page just under the TFP logo.

It can take the salt 24 hours or more to fully mix in and be properly read by the AutoPilot sensor. With the digital model, the display should show the exact salt level the unit is reading. Leave the pump running full time and then take a look at what the AutoPilot thinks the salt level is tonight, 24 hours after adding salt. If you still have a problem at that point there are various things we can try.

Jason,

Thanks for the info on the signature, i've added it now.

I'm going to run my Bravo Fury tonight and hopefully it will help to mix up the salt.

So i'm assuming then if the Autopilot shows any amount of salt that needs to be added then it turns off the purifier?

The AutoPilot will work over a fairly large salt range. However, if the salt level is outside that range it turns off the purifier and flashes the status light. Something similar, but with a different message, happens if the pump loses prime and the AutoPilot sees that the water isn't flowing.

Ok - Here is an update. Once I ran my cleaner it mixed up the salt and my low salt issue went away

BUT

Now the digital is turning off and on without any errors. The purifier percentage is changing on it's own. What is going on? I setup the pump program one to run from 8:00am to 7:59am so that it matched the time I setup my VF which is 24hrs at this point until I get all the chemicals right. I set the purifier % at 50% like the manual said to for initial start up. I went out and checked on it and it was showing off. I unpluged the plug that goes to the flow control, plugged it back in and it turned on again. Then this morning I went out again it it showed off and purifier at 33%. I changed the % to 50% and then unplugged it once it didn't come on. Once I plugged it back in it turned on again and went back to 33%. ????????????????

The percentage on the AutoPilot units changes as the temperature changes. There isn't any way to set a specific percentage and have it stay that way. Any time the temperature changes, the percentage will also change. You can't even count on the percentage being the same when the temperature displays the same, since it used a longer term average temperature, rather than the currently displayed temperature to adjust the percentage.

Also, you can't count on the cell being activated unless the percentage is set to 100%. At any setting below 100% it turns the cell on and off so that it is on about that percentage of the time.

Yeah once I read the manual over again I saw that I was ok. I went ahead and turned it on Boost mode because my FC is now almost zero. I also added a couple gallons of bleach. I'm still in chemical leveling mode. I've added a ton of CYA as well as baking soda and borax. Everything in my pool was super low. Hoping it will be good to go here in the next few days. I have a company coming out tomorrow to hopefully fix my heater and then it looked like I have to send my robotic back for a second time. This time i'm going to demand a different model.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.