New Pool Startup

mgmoore7

Bronze Supporter
May 9, 2015
Land O Lakes, FL
Just started up on Thursday night. I have been going to the local pool store to get the water tested so that I have easy proof of the management of the chemistry.

We added acid and keeping the PH in line pretty easy. Pebbletec said to add chlorine after 2 days. We did a initial shock of 1 gallon and the pool store suggested using a floater with pucks until we startup the saltwater chlorination and they said do not worry about CYA right now since the pucks have it already.

Is this ok for now?

PebbleTec Finish
12,000 gallons
Saltwater after 30 days
Tampa, FL

Good morning Matt. Since this is a new build and your plaster will certainly cause pH to rise often, you can use pucks for a short period, but not too long. Even with the rain and water exchange over there, you have to be very careful with prolonged use of pucks. A few basic recommendations I have for you:
- Order the proper test kit so you can test the water yourself. I guarantee the pool store will never be as accurate as you. See the TF-100 link in my sig
- Go to the Pool School link below and review the pages associated with it there. Also the other links below (except SLAM) in my sig. You need those
- Keep the Pool School - Start-up New Plaster page handy so you know what to expect in the coming months, but always follow your builder's specific instructions if they have any.

Until your SWG can be turned-on and adjusted, keep regular liquid bleach available and use that to keep some FC in the water. You might even need to add more stabilizer other than what the pucks are providing (slowly), unless your builder added that already. Hence ... the test kit. :) Take a look at these notes/pages and let us know if you still have more questions. We'll be glad to help some more.

Texas Splash
Thanks for the reply.

I do already have the TF-100 kit and am using it as well as the pool store. I am color blind and using the store as a comparison as well. I have to teach my eyes how to read the colors and get the help from one of my kids since many of these test involve colors.

I was considering getting one of the Digital units like this one but have not really researched it yet so see how good they are. The ratings are good on Amazon as a starting point.
Amazon.com : LaMotte 2056 ColorQ Pro 7 Digital Pool Water Test Kit : Swimming Pool Liquid Test Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

Since a SWG pool requires a higher CYA than not, it seems to m that I would be better off to go ahead and bring my CYA up to at least 30, stop using the pucks and add chlorine as needed.

Well that is totally understandable. We have many members who have similar issues with reading colors. For some of the tests, simply recognizing the color change is most important. Still, I imagine it can be tricky, so you are doing well to compare. Having the pool store proof may also be required as a formality for your PB warranty, but the TF-100 is your best tool for sure.

You certainly can add stabilizer now for a target of 30. I just wasn't sure if your PB added some already. That increased CYA will help protect the FC from your FL sunshine. Then once your SWG is operational, increase it to 70. Make sure to keep your FC around the 4-6 range, and never let it drop below 3 if you can help it. It's not the worse thing to keep a couple pucks floating around since they are acidic and will help with slowing-down the rise of pH, but remember they will increase CYA over time. You can always remove them totally and just rely on acid for pH control. You'll end-up having acid on-hand for routine additions anyways.

Sounds like you're getting the hang of this stuff though. Sorry I don't have personal experience with the LaMotte testers. I've seen mixed reviews here on those products. You might want to do a TFP search for past discussions that might help. If you have any more questions, please let us know. Have a great day Matt.

Pat
Thanks. I went ahead and got the stabilizer on Mon night and added chlorine as well. I had the wrong # of gallons in the app so I over chlorinated. I removed the stabilizer this morning from the skimmer so that it having less of it would help the chlorine burn off.

By the time I got home tonight:
chlorine = 3
CYA = 10 (yesterday it was 0)
PH = 7.2

I put the sock back in the skimmer and will check the chlorine and ph again in the morning. Probably add more chlorine since the CYA should be climbing as well.

You don't need to worry much about over-chlorination, it'll drift down to normal levels pretty quickly. More CYA is actually better in that situation, so you shouldn't worry about that right now either. It would take a concerted effort or a really small pool to take the FC level up to "dangerous" levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.