scaling?

Oct 17, 2015
Houston, Texas
Need help please. New pool built January 2016. i am starting to see a hard white film on some of my waterline tiles. I noticed some on the tiles on the steps. it does flake off. Is this scaling? What should I do?

date: 5-1-2016
PH 7.8
FC 11
CH 675
TA 60
CYA 45

My fill water CH is 100.

We have had lots and lots of rain in Texas recently.
Here are some previous numbers:

date: 4-23-2016
Ph 8.2
FC 7.5
CH 625
TA 80
CYA 55

date: 4-16-2016
Ph 7.8
fc 5
ch 750
TA 70
CYA 65

date: 4-8-2016
ph 7.8
fc 5.5
TA 70
ch 625
CYA 72

Are you using calcium hypochlorite for shocking?

I don't understand how you could go from a CH of 100 to 600 in less than 4 months?

The white deposits, do they run horizontal at the waterline, or do they go vertical above the waterline? Vertical is usually an indication of efflorescence. However, given your pH, TA, and CH levels, waterline scale is very possible

Especially not with all that rain, rain should lower your CH, especially the feet of rain ya'll have had this spring. If you are using cal-hypo stop, it is adding calcium to the pool.

Anyway, here is what to do to prevent calcium scaling. Manage your CSI to be slightly negative, -0.1 to -0.3. Enter all your test results into Poolmath including water temp. Poolmath will calculate your CSI score. Tweak PH and TA to keep it in range. This will make your SWG stay clean and last longer and will add years to the life of your plaster.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

And here, Langelier and Calcite Saturation Indices (LSI and CSI)

Are you using calcium hypochlorite for shocking?

I don't understand how you could go from a CH of 100 to 600 in less than 4 months?

The white deposits, do they run horizontal at the waterline, or do they go vertical above the waterline? Vertical is usually an indication of efflorescence. However, given your pH, TA, and CH levels, waterline scale is very possible
I mainly see it where my spa waterfall goes into the pool on the waterline tile. I saw some on a one inch tile on my tanning shelf. It's a very hard white filmy substance. I will post pics of it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can't figure out how to post a pic just yet but the shock I was using is;

Poolife turboshock

active ingredients: 78% Calcium Hypochlorite
22% Other Ingredients

So I'm guessing that is where the calcium is coming from. So should I do a partial drain or just keep the PH in check?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.