New to Pools and TFP, Longview TX

May 1, 2016
Longview/TX
Hi Everyone,

I moved to Longview, TX. Bought a house with a pool for fun factor since we knew we would probably be spending quite a bit of time remodeling.

I have a 30K gal, SWG, In-Ground, Vinyl Liner pool. It's very nice and has been crystal since I got here. However, I've received confusing, mixed up and not well supported advice from the pool store. So, like everyone else, I Googled.

It won't surprise you all that TFP showed up a lot, along with the Pool School Forum.

I am an engineer. So, being completely ignorant about pools, I didn't assume right off that I could completely trust TFP either. However, the explanations I have seen here appear to be more thought out and stated unflinchingly. I looked for other reviews and found that the site has a good reputation. So, I hope to learn a lot and be of value some day here.

I'll look at the basics. My main questions now center on "To shock regularly or not." Initial reading has shown me that my 20ppm CYA is much lower than recommended for my SWG application. So, that will be my first action is to try to get that level up. Any advice welcome.

Side note, I just cleaned my cartridge filter for the first time today. It was filthy.

I look forward to meeting you all.

Thanks,
Chuck

Welcome! Hang around, ask questions when needed, and get ready to love your pool!

Have you visited the pool math calculator yet? If you fill out the volume of your pool, it will show you how much stabilizer you need to use to get to your target. Often it is recommended to do it in half increments, as the only way to fix it if you overshoot is draining some water and refilling. A good way to get it in the pool is by hanging it in a sock, and squeezing the sock periodically, until it's all dissolved.

As for your question as you read more on the forum you will see that a properly maintained pool will not need a weekly shock as many/most pool stores will recommend. The SLAM process only needs to be done when you get algy hopefully a rare occurrence. We have had our pool for 8 months and not needed to SLAM

Welcome to TFP!

My pool has never been shocked since it was built in 2012. Also, no water change ever. And never, ever missed a single day of swimming for any reason (other than cold water), green pool, too high chlorine, out of balance or any of the other reasons non-TFP people can't swim in their pools. My pool water has spent its entire life being crystal clear. Just sayin ... :) We look forward to you having the same success with your pool.

Here are the recommended levels for your pool, Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs

Since you have an SWG the most you may want to do is use the boost mode or manually add a couple PPM of FC after a pool party not so much a shock just a little help when you have a heavy bather load. That way once you have your SWG dialed in you don't have to mess with your SWG runtime schedule for a one off event. A good test kit and some experience will get you to know how the pool reacts to different situations.