Inspiration Wanted.....UPDATED with Pics added on page 2

Laenini

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2008
Brooklyn Park, MN
Show me pics of your AGP deck, please? I need ideas that I can shamelessly steal and use in my own backyard! Also, be sure to mention anything you would do differently on your project if you had it to do over again. That is the best part of learning from others, often they can save you a mistake or two.

Thanks!
Leanne

***Please see my new post on page 2 of this thread with pics added of my backyard and pool area***

Re: Inspiration Wanted.....

You can see here where the edge of the deck comes up to the pool at the lower point. This is where I (daddy) gets into the pool. I love just sitting on the edge and slipping in. :)

I kept ours simple and just extended the existing deck structure to the pool. This involved removing an existing section of railing and reusing it. I first dug post holes and planted 4X4 posts and quickcrete. I am not a huge fan of freestanding on blocks. My neighbor did this and his have sunk into the ground a little bit and the deck is not as strong.

To get your deck plumb, use string and a string level. cut all your posts of to make your deck level and account for the hieght (size) of your deck floor joists and decking boards so that they come to the desired height of the edge of your pool. As you can see from mine I had to make a few steps up to the height of the pool from the existing deck level.

Take your time and do your homework. Don't rush the planning, measuring and re-measuring. It will turn out great!

Laenini said:
Show me pics of your AGP deck, please? I need ideas that I can shamelessly steal and use in my own backyard! Also, be sure to mention anything you would do differently on your project if you had it to do over again. That is the best part of learning from others, often they can save you a mistake or two.

Thanks!
Leanne

OK, post some picks of your pool W/O a deck. We can give you some ideers!

Before you start, you might want to check with the local building inspection department on the requirements for pool decks, rails and safety requirements. I'm an lgc specializing in decks and porches; if you choose to not get required inspections your homeowner's insurance carrier may (and very likely will) choose to not honor any liability claim that may arise associated with any part of the pool and deck. In NC there are separate pool and building inspection requirements based upon jurisdiction. Although NC (and most states) use the International Residential Code; pools, decks and other components are listed as appendices, so the locals can choose how they interpret them. Decks aren't rocket science, but they aren't cheap to build and even more expensive if you have to do it twice. (No pix of mine because it came with the house...I've got to replace it this summer and do it right!)

Snark said:
Before you start, you might want to check with the local building inspection department on the requirements for pool decks, rails and safety requirements. I'm an lgc specializing in decks and porches; if you choose to not get required inspections your homeowner's insurance carrier may (and very likely will) choose to not honor any liability claim that may arise associated with any part of the pool and deck. In NC there are separate pool and building inspection requirements based upon jurisdiction. Although NC (and most states) use the International Residential Code; pools, decks and other components are listed as appendices, so the locals can choose how they interpret them. Decks aren't rocket science, but they aren't cheap to build and even more expensive if you have to do it twice. (No pix of mine because it came with the house...I've got to replace it this summer and do it right!)

That is a good point...My neighbor built a deck on his house...he was going to come right up to the threshold on his sliding glass door...I asked him how high up that was...He told me it was 32" Our building code in our town states that decks that are more than 30 " above grade, have to have a permit and inspections. he was thankful I knew that they modified the deck down to 28 inches and there is now a slight step down. The city actually came out and checked his footings...They saw all the lumber and walked right back to the back yard and started nosing about. The inspector could have made him tear it all out and start all over at less than 30" had I not told them. Always make sure that what you are doing is not governed by the building inspections and permits...I would never have guessed I needed a building permit to put my pool in either. Not for the excavation but because it is a permanent structure. Check with your city or county gov't.

Beave:

Contrary to popular opinion, most (that's MOST, not all!) inspectors are very accommodating, and usually more so for a homeowner. Us contractor types are supposed to know what they're doing, so if you don't verify with the chief first, the field inspectors may think we're trying to slip something past them...as if a contractor would actually do that :mrgreen:

The way that insurance companies work these days, plus the opportunities for legal problems, it's ALWAYS better to follow the letter of the law. With pools being a HUGE "attractive nuisance" 'tis better to be safe while paying a bit more than you want than be sorry and paying everything you have.

you can see a copy of my deck plan here...24ft round...the only change we are making is that the stairs will be turned 90 degrees to the right (facing the pool)..using trex and white composite railing...the landing is there as our code requires a 4ft self closing latching gate that opens outward...also our footing need to be dug down a minimum of 42" (Below frost line...do Dekblocks for us unfortunately if we want a CO issued :rant: )

http://s702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/dmanb2b/

Snark said:
Beave:

Contrary to popular opinion, most (that's MOST, not all!) inspectors are very accommodating, and usually more so for a homeowner. Us contractor types are supposed to know what they're doing, so if you don't verify with the chief first, the field inspectors may think we're trying to slip something past them...as if a contractor would actually do that :mrgreen:

The way that insurance companies work these days, plus the opportunities for legal problems, it's ALWAYS better to follow the letter of the law. With pools being a HUGE "attractive nuisance" 'tis better to be safe while paying a bit more than you want than be sorry and paying everything you have.

OK Snark,

So how'd I do? see the picks above... :-D I built all the decking you see and the "hot tub Hut". It's a never ending project. This weekend we are painting some more railings. I've got some "non-skid decking paint I am going to paint the deck by the pool to keep the deck bythe pool looking nice. Then I am going to install deck lighting. I get tired just thinking about it! I imagine the code can't be too different in Pender County than in Wake? Well, except for maybe the sandy soil and meeting hurricane building requirements...LOL I also built the barn in the picture when the inspectors were inspecting the house beside mine when they were building it. He said he would just put some blinders on if "I" being the homeowner was doing the work myself and was not paying a contractor.

I think I have looked at almost every photo of a deck everywhere on this forum. They are amazing. However. my husband wants to put our decking over the top rail since it is not rated for standing on. He actually wants to build a set of very wide stairs that cover the distance between three of the top caps and is thinking he will be able to run stringers on either side. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has a deck that is over the top rail and has not posted a picture on the forum yet. Sorry for diverting the topic, sort of.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

93Mastercraft:

The project doesn't look bad...just be thankful that you're not in Cary! (I've built in the Triangle for the past 6 years - I'm an owner of a major deck/porch builder both there and Cape Fear. And yes, building in 150mph wind zone requirements is a WHOLE LOT trickier than 110!) Most of what I would look for structurally isn't shown in your photos. Are your rails 42"? Or do you meet the NC restrictive access requirements? NC Building codes are on line, go to the NC Department of Insurance. Wake inspectors are for the most part nice fellows. Of course, anyone can have a less than great day, ymmv. We've been held up on final inspection for months because the homeowner didn't have a door alarm that would sound immediately, then when told the next codes would allow a delay decided to approve it. Contrary to what the very nice engineers in the DOI office think, state codes are not administered the same in every jurisdiction. I build in 34 different jurisdictions. Multiply that by the number of field inspectors and you have the different interpretations.

Thanks for all of the advice! I really appreciate the suggestion of posting pictures of my pool as it is now to get more specific advice. I will try to get some pics up by the end of the day today.
Thanks again!
Leanne

I am not sure if my deck pictures ever got posted to the site. I went over the rail too. I made sections the go about 2' way from the pool. 2 reasons, it looks nice and if we ever have to do maintenance, I can just take out the sections. It is a pain to layout the structure, but I would do it again. My skimmer is under the deck, so I have a trap door to access it. I would not build over the skimmer again, winterizing and cleaning is kind of a pain. I would go with the vinyl railiing again also. It is more expensive, but looks nice and no maintenance.

Attachments

• Deck South West.jpg
    Deck South West.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 1,543
  • Pool South East.jpg
    Pool South East.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 1,539

I also went over the top rail. By the end of May I should be able to post the finished deck (with solar), if the weather cooperates. I also placed my pump and filter under the deck (at a corner), but since my lot slopes access for maintenance etc isn't too bad. I have a beaded liner, so I hope that the need to remove my railing caps anytime soon is reduced. Otherwise I'll have a little dis-assembly to do.

my-agp-deck-project-t9468.html

Kelly

Thanks,

Yes most of the railing in the picture is Vinyl. The upper deck is still wood rail in the picture, but I have since swapped it for vinyl and added steps (should have done that years ago!). Besides the storage, We built a little courtyard and it has a 10 x 8 storage shed and a 6 x 8 playhouse. My brother-in-law calls it 'the compound'

I also noticed inthe picture I posted before, the 'facia' around the pool is not all the way complete. I did finsih that off too.

Attachments

• compound1.jpg
    compound1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,413
  • Finished upper rail.jpg
    Finished upper rail.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,413

My pool deck is attached to the house and existing back porch.

Here is one looking straight on from pool. That's my Casey... it's her pool. :mrgreen:

Soda_fountain, do you have a picture of the understructure of your deck around the pool? We are wanting to do something similar, and would be interested in a shot or two looking at it from underneath if possible. We are looking to start building soon.

So here's a twist I have an indoor AG pool decked to the top, Trex around the pool and cedar for the ramp and decking to shower and treatment room. this is how it ended up, not how it was planned. Much nicer than the plans.

Attachments

• pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,242
  • HPIM0677.JPG
    HPIM0677.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,252

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.