2nd year opening first year becoming a tfpm

I have the last couple days. It rained the last 3 days so I took cover off, drained almost a foot below the skimmer, filled the water and back washed my new sand. I then swept and brushed surfaced and let the system run for 24 hours. My results are FC:2.5 cc:0 ph:7.6 Ta:110 Ch:200 cya:100 water temp is about 65 right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 99
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
That is some pretty water! Now get that FC up to match the still high CYA. Good job on draining it some. What are you plans for future draining?

Kim:cat: (we have NO idea why some of the pics are doing that)

Thanks :) it's been like that since I used the method the last owner was using but then after doing homework I realized I was all wrong and now it's all making sense. I have no clue either because it uploading right but then went upside down :( but before I dump any chemicals in it I was going to drain it under the skimmer and go from there. Hopefully that solves my issues I have picked up ten percent liquid chlorine for under 2 bucks cause of it being send to the wrong rdc but I don't wanna waste it to drain

today< i drained my pool down to 2 ft and then refilled so i should let run for 24 and then retest?also, since im opening and restarting the whole system< should i add enough liquid chlorine as a shock level or just add enough to get me where i need to be depending on cya levels?

You only have to let the pump run for about 30 mins or so before testing. I would brush the pool during that time to help mix it all in good.

Test and add according to your test results. If you are worried about something being in your water you can do a OCLT (link below). This will show if anything is hiding and planning an ambush.

Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

Kim:cat:

i know right!i tried fixing it but it wouldn't exactly let me! today it was filled and i skimmed everything on the surface, swept and then brushed and back washed even tho i didnt really have to, its raining here and has been for days so i figured it would best best anyways!ill test in the morning and see where im at. thank you everyone, i ust admit its really nice to form a foundation here online then at a pool store. funny thing is most people that have pools have no idea and then come back 2 days later saying they have issues so, im bringing them to tfp :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After the drain my cya is now at 60! This was on Friday. Sat morning I tested for fc after bringing it to 6 and I lost nothing. Sat evening I had a loss of .2 fc at temp 70. I also added 3.8 oz of acid cause my ta was 130 it also brought my ph from 7.8 to 7.2 today I checked my fc was at 4.8 and ph was 7.2 with a ta of 120. I'm not sure how to aerate to bring ph up but considering a vinyl liner what ta should I aim for?

Once you use acid to lower pH more than normal to also lower TA, then aerating is best since it leaves the TA low. You can aerate by adjusting your return jets upward if possible, or make a DIY sprayer/fountain with PVC that many people have done which helps with aeration, cools the water in the summer, and is fun for the kiddos.

I was planning on building a water jet for the kids to play in but wasn't going to do that until I finish the deck around the pool. Kids birthday party is coming in June so I opened the pool early just to get knowledge on the Bbb method and so far so good but it's just adjusting things that I'm getting use to! Would you think adjusting the eye ball up for a night would bring it up? I was thinking of testing for a week and then using my info to base how much chemicals I need per week and then testing weekly rather than daily. Once the temp goes up many things will change! Btw thanks for the quick response

i pointed my eyeball upwards which created bubbles and 2 hours later my ph was at 7.6. i saw on a similar post where it said to lower alkalinity by 20ppm which would lower mine to 110 that i would throw 4 gallons of acid (.16qts) into my pool that seems like a lot to me? any one you ever have a similar issue?

i was thinking that was too much i actually did the acid demand test and then used the table circle on my test kit to determine how ma i needed to add. 70 is kind of low is"t it? i thought it was suppose to be around 80 to 120 ppm my fc has been pretty stable the last few days despite the loss of ph due to ma. i aerate the return jet for a half hour and im around a 7.6. also i scrubbed the entire pool after adding acid. how long do i wait upon swimming since i thru ma in?

I'd just use the Poolmath tool for your additions of MA to get a more accurate amount based on the volume of your pool. I just checked to go from 7.8 to 7.2 should take around 62oz of 31% MA. Maybe worth getting another reading on your TA. Should be right to swim about 1/2 after adding MA- just check that your pH is in range.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.