Pump size for pump replacement

Exit0

Jul 3, 2013
Hello all

Spring has arrived and it won't be long till its time to open up then pool for the season. I want to replace my pump with a 2 speed pump to save on electric. I have a 150 lb sand filter with a Hayward powerflow lx 1.5 HP pump. My question is do I really need 1.5 HP or can I downsize to 1hp? I have been looking around at what others are running and it appears that my filter is small for the size of the pump and others appear to filter much bigger pools with a smaller pump. Since I am going with a 2 speed would it be ok to go with the bigger pump since it will run on low speed for the majority of the time? I attached photos of the data plates on my current pump and filter model number. Unfortunately my pump data plate does not seem to give me the service factor so it is kinda hard for me to compare. Any ideas or advise??? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 30
That pump is SPL rated which means that it has a service factor less than 1 and is really a double up rated pump. So even though it says it is 1.5 HP, it is equivalent to a 3/4 HP full rated pump and a 1 HP up rated pump. Not really a powerful pump and no reason to downsize. Another cheaper option, would be to just replace that motor with a 2 speed motor. That pump comes in a 2 speed version and the motor number is a SP1515Z2. A BN34 is also a two speed replacement motor.

Thanks for the info. So if I went with a 1HP 2 speed power flow matrix pump I would be much better off than I am now in terms of pump performance? I knew it was a cheap pump when I bought it. It was part of the basic package when I bought the pool. Didn't have the money to upgrade at the time. I did think about replacing the motor but am going to buy he whole thing. That one is 5 years old and something is leaking a little. Probably nothing serious but. Perhaps when I have some time I will take it apart and fix it. Few new seals or something and it will probably be a good spare.

So if I went with a 1HP 2 speed power flow matrix pump I would be much better off than I am now in terms of pump performance?
Not really. Your current pump is sufficient and is a decent performer.

That one is 5 years old and something is leaking a little.
That is probably due to a bad seal which would need to be replaced with a new motor anyway. 5 years old is not old for a pump. A pump housing can last many decades. Motors, however, have a much shorter life span.

It is up to you which direction to go but if it were me, I would just replace the motor. Unless of course I could get a similar pump (no plumbing mods) for a similar price as just the motor. That might tilt the balance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.