Pool for a year

gerber

Apr 28, 2016
Calgary, Alberta
Hi! Brand new here and hoping for some help.

We moved into a new (to us) house last fall that has a pool. Being up in Canada, pool season is very short and it wasn't really a selling feature for us. Having said that, with the pool already here, we've decided to keep it for a year and enjoy the heck out of it, before having it filled in. So that means we don't plan to put a lot of money into the thing, other than what we have to in order to maintain it.

It was closed and covered (with the water bags holding the winter cover in place) when we moved in. We knew enough to keep the water on top of the cover pumped off periodically. We are having a pool company come in 2 weeks to open it for us and they will come every 2 weeks to maintain it. I guess we are supposed to shock the pool on alternating weeks if we're using it a lot.

So I'm hoping if I post pictures of what we have, you can all help me get acquainted with what stuff is, what it's for and what we're in for as pool owners!

First, here's the pool. It's about 18 feet by 36 feet. The shallow end is about 3 feet deep and I'm assuming with a diving board that the deep end is around 10 feet deep? Estimating around a 30K gallon pool? We're on a corner lot, so we get a lot of sun from the south and west in the afternoon. The pool also has a blue cover for the summer.

4dca8c6c-eaf1-47a4-895e-6208e778dab2_zpscufqvgk2.jpg

Looking the other direction from the pool is the pool shed:
IMG_8714_zps2ajqup61.jpg

Here's the inside of the shed:
IMG_8720_zpstdcucvy9.jpg

So if I understand correctly, the big thing looking like a propane tank, is the salt water chlorinator?
Then the little thing on the floor is what? A pump?
And the square green thing on the right is the heater, I assume.
Front of the heater:
IMG_8718_zps9tec4lsq.jpg

Taking the door off the heater:

IMG_8733_zps4lmwcijn.jpg

IMG_8732_zps0bak7ndk.jpg

The way the chlorinator is set up, the french is facing out, which makes things difficult to figure out. Here's the top:
d37df7b1-e414-4b2a-be18-d8b8abbf8d12_zpsgutfxetn.jpg

I tried to take pictures of the labels in English on the other side... didn't do so well!
IMG_8731_zpstx6lwh4q.jpg

IMG_8730_zpsg2b47ruq.jpg

IMG_8729_zps5rscysa5.jpg

Looking downward at the pump on the floor:
85d4c727-a203-403f-85a9-3eee33097f28_zpsapgqj6kr.jpg

Other misc pictures. This one is looking downward at the floor as well. They unhooked a lot of the pvc piping. Not sure why?
IMG_8719%201_zpsgycejgf0.jpg

Chemicals and stuff:
IMG_8722_zpsfvvby03z.jpg

misc stuff in case I haven't already bored you:
IMG_8723_zps19fbvmf9.jpg

And there's one of these:
IMG_8721_zpspaeucz22.jpg

Like I said, we don't plan to put a lot of money into this. Just enough to keep it going for the summer. And we're hoping it doesn't cost a small fortune to heat it. Being in Canada, we're going to have to heat it to use it every time, I'm sure. By the way, we're in Calgary, Alberta, where the lows right now are about 40 and the highs are about 65.

June will be marginally warmer.
On average July and August will be lows of 50 and highs of 75. Although summer have been warmer than average. We do often get 80 and low 90's at times.

Can anyone give me a ballpark of how much this thing is going to cost to heat? Say we want to use it often, every couple days... Would we have to keep it warm since it's fairly big, not great weather and would take a long time to get up to a nice temp? I just don't know how to approach this. I looked around a fair bit on here and didn't see any threads addressing heating a pool in my climate. ;) Pools just aren't selling features here because of the climate!

Is there anyone on here who can relate to the climate and pool size?

Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_8713.jpg
    IMG_8713.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 72
Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Your set-up is fairly common really. That large round item in the corner is your sand filter. The mode it is in (filter, backwash, waste, etc) is controlled by the multiport valve you showed a pic of. FYI - Always turn the valve in the same direction, and only move the valve when the pump is turned off! Yes, that's the pump on the ground with the pump strainer basket in front of it (clear lid). From time to time someone will turn the system off, remove that lid, and clean-out the basket. Along the inside of the pool you will have a poolside "skimmer" that catches surface debris before it gets sucked towards the pump. Yes, the green box is your heater. Someone else can give you an idea of monthly cost projections.

It would be a shame to fill that pool in. Once you know the routine, they're not that difficult to maintain as long as you have the right test kit. But if you are firm on having a service take care of the pool for you, that would be up to them I suppose. Don't be surprised if what you hear and read here on TFP conflicts a bit from your pool service. Those companies service pools a bit differently based on their schedule between visits and/or education of the products being used.

By all means, please visit our Pool School page to get a basic understanding of what we're all about. If you have any more questions, please let us know. Great to have you with us.

Thanks for the welcome!

Sand filter, eh? Wow, I really know nothing. Thanks for the FYI on it, too! I noticed the skimmer, too.

Currently I'm spending my time with the shop vac cleaning all the evergreen needles that have fallen over the last 8 months so they don't all blow into the pool when we take the cover off in 6 days. THAT would suck. :)

The reason we're filling in the pool - we moved from an inner city lot with a VERY small yard and wanted space, lots of yard space. Not really a pool. We look at the pool and think "There's that yard space for entertaining!" I know you can entertain with a pool, and we WILL, but it's different. You can't have a big fire back there, everyone roasting marshmallows and stuff with the pool in the middle. And with our climate, fires are more of a draw for a party than a pool.

Also, we are usually camping a lot in the summer. We have such short summers and little time for camping. Having a pool means even less camping if we want the pool to be worth the work and expense. I'd probably keep it for 2 years, but DH is adamant that we're keeping it for one, so there you go.

So, we don't have a salt water chlorinator? DH said he saw something in that pool shed that suggested we did... And what's this? Thanks to anyone who wants to offer suggestions or input - I'm a total noob.
IMG_8749_zpsr9lhcflo.jpg

Thanks!

Yes, when we looked at the house originally, we had a concrete company come in and do a quote to fill in the pool because we really didn't want it. We wanted a yard. The estimate was about $14K. We walked away from the deal. Too much. A couple weeks later the other real estate agent contacted ours and told us to reduce the price of the house by the cost to remove it, so we took $14K off the top and and negotiated from there. And negotiated well. So, we have the $14K set aside and earmarked for pool removal. Pools are just not a draw here in this climate.

Don't get me wrong. I'm SUPER psyched to have this pool for a year. I want to use it and use it well. And I hope to have pool parties pretty much every weekend we're home! I bought a commercial sized hot dog roller to feed all the folks I hope to have at our house this summer (because I'm a low maintenance gal who wants to be IN the pool, not worried about feeding people!). And I want to know what we're doing so that we don't wind up with a mess of algae or any of the other problems folks run into.

Thanks for the ID, jbizzle. Yep, I'm a noob.

So, there is nothing in that shed that suggests salt water chlorinator? Don't know where DH came up with that from...

There is a thread somewhere here where a fellow countryman of yours started on how he is able to heat his pool to 90+ in the winter and maintain low propane bills. I bet you would forget all about having a yard if you had a nice easy to maintain, year around pool :cool:

There is a thread somewhere here where a fellow countryman of yours started on how he is able to heat his pool to 90+ in the winter and maintain low propane bills. I bet you would forget all about having a yard if you had a nice easy to maintain, year around pool :cool:

If anyone can find that thread, I'd really appreciate it! We're on natural gas, not propane but I wouldn't think there would be much cost difference...?

I found the salt water chlorinator. Does this mean it's pretty much self-sufficient and runs itself? Do we maybe not need a pool company to maintain the thing every 2 weeks??

IMG_3782_zpsdq2kowwg.jpg

IMG_3784_zpsa8i0vezq.jpg

IMG_3783_zpsvsye8fuj.jpg

Also, can anyone tell me what this is?
IMG_3786_zps4dl3n82n.jpg

Thanks!!

No pool is self sufficient, you will still need to regularly test your own pool water and make adjustments as needed.

That is a box for a cell the SWG uses to create chlorine. They have to be replaced every so often.

e: You can see it in your 3rd picture in the 1st post.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.