Does American Home Shield (AHS) cover pool equipment?

Yep. They replaced all of the grids in my DE filter after we bought this place. I had to pay a $55 "co-pay". :) However, they will cover it ONLY if the coverage was purchased with the pool equipment rider. Their standard home policy doesn't cover pool equipment.

Here is my AHS pool experience.

I have the optional pool rider. My pool equipment timer box had an external light to light up the equipment pad. When the light switch failed due to corrosion due to a non weather tight I install by someone else, AHS denied the claim because it was "outside non-pool electrical."

When one of my spa air buttons broke because the air line tubing became clogged, they denied repair because the airline tubing ran inside plastic conduit that went under the concete deck to the spa and therefore was not "accessible.". In reality the ends of the conduit were very accessible and this is a job I will easily do myself when I have time.

Just prior to purchasing he house the previous owner used her AHS warranty to replace the cart filter which was leaking. Ahs did pay foe a new filter, however they don't have any screening process for the subcontractors they choose to do your work. These guys were so incompetent they plumbed the filter pipes in backwards (water from the pump went in the OUT connector and vise versa). They other plumbing problem they caused was to remove my drain valve and pipe connector. So when they left I had no way to drain my pool and the filter carts were collecting dirt on the inside of the cart pleats rather than the outside.

There is a similar story regarding my pool pump where thy replaced the motor with an AO Smith generic motor and did t replace the shaft seal so the new pump failed 3 months later.

Your mileage will vary.
Remember AHS is primarily in the MARKETING business rather than the home repair business.

Good luck with them,

Lee

learthur said:
Here is my AHS pool experience.

I have the optional pool rider. My pool equipment timer box had an external light to light up the equipment pad. When the light switch failed due to corrosion due to a non weather tight I install by someone else, AHS denied the claim because it was "outside non-pool electrical."

When one of my spa air buttons broke because the air line tubing became clogged, they denied repair because the airline tubing ran inside plastic conduit that went under the concete deck to the spa and therefore was not "accessible.". In reality the ends of the conduit were very accessible and this is a job I will easily do myself when I have time.

Just prior to purchasing he house the previous owner used her AHS warranty to replace the cart filter which was leaking. Ahs did pay foe a new filter, however they don't have any screening process for the subcontractors they choose to do your work. These guys were so incompetent they plumbed the filter pipes in backwards (water from the pump went in the OUT connector and vise versa). They other plumbing problem they caused was to remove my drain valve and pipe connector. So when they left I had no way to drain my pool and the filter carts were collecting dirt on the inside of the cart pleats rather than the outside.

There is a similar story regarding my pool pump where thy replaced the motor with an AO Smith generic motor and did t replace the shaft seal so the new pump failed 3 months later.

Your mileage will vary.
Remember AHS is primarily in the MARKETING business rather than the home repair business.

Good luck with them,

Lee

We spoke with one rep this morning. She informed us that they did not cover a polaris pump. Well that got my wife to call in once she got to work. According to my wife they do cover it. I hope my wife is not mistaken on what she is saying. It would be nice to defer the cost with AHS. Will keep you updated.

Talk about conicidence. Just had a HVAC tech over under AHS "warranty" today!

I have the pool rider as well and they do cover all pool equipment that is "accessible". Meaning pretty much everything on the equipment pad, once it dives under the dirt fuggitaboutit.

I have read countless horror stories about them and a co-worker told me yesterday that they just went through a rather large class action lawsuit so perhaps their service has improved. Perhaps they have done away with alot of this "non-covered" nonsense. I have other friends that have had great luck with them so I suppose it is hit or miss. I do know if they decide to pull any funny business I am going to make sure that I am all over them.

I have the $60 "service" fee to pay and for the majority of the stuff they cover I can fix for less then $60. Fortunately, the seller paid for the policy but after the year I am done with them.

I would much rather pay and repair myself, but thats just me. Let me know how they handle any of your issues.

Just my .02 pence.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My customer experience with American Home Shield (AHS) is not good and I cannot recommend them. I am NOT anti-AHS, and I am acting in good-faith trying to resolve a present dispute with AHS. If we reach a satisfactory resolution to my dispute, I will certainly tell everyone how cooperative and helpful they have been.

AHS, a ServiceMaster company, has the expectation that their customers know the precise details of their contracts. Buyer beware!

I scheduled a service request on AHS's website. There was no obvious mechanism that allowed me to check if the service I requested was a covered service. [NOTE: If I knew a service wasn't covered, I would most certainly find my own vendor]. The comfirmation notice I received online listed the service fee as $60 - but now I know that this doesn't actually mean a thing! Just to make sure, I called this morning to include multiple services in a single dispatch (truck-roll) for my $60 co-pay (only $60). I'm unemployed and unable to afford an open-ended or unwarranted dispatch. The AHS agent I spoke with by phone believed that my request for pool lighting and electrical repairs was covered by the Vendor, Blue Star Pool Care, but not by a different vendor, All-American Electrical Services. I was told that All-American Electrical Services wasn't approved for pool work, but I WASN'T informed by AHS that pool-related lighting wouldn't be a covered service under any circumstances.

When Blue Star Pool Care arrived at my home, the technician immediately informed me that AHS wouldn't pay for pool-related lighting service. I told him that I was led to believe otherwise but he assured me he was right. I said, 'In that case, you can leave'.

When I called AHS, the agent I spoke with told me that my pool lighting was covered. I said, that's what I understood from the AHS rep I spoke with earlier but the pool service technician assured me that AHS would not cover this. Who is right? The AHS agent then put me on hold to investigate further. When she returned she told me that the service vendor was correct [Note: It seems suspicious to me that Blue Star Pool Care didn't call me prior to dispatching a truck -- Guaranteed money perhaps?!] I told her that I attempted to book only warranted services earlier by web AND phone but a dispatch was made for uncovered services that I DID NOT WANT or REQUEST.

I continue reaching out to AHS to try and resolve this issue but thus far I have been ignored. If somebody can tell me how to work successfully with AHS, I'm open to your ideas. As of right now, I'm extremely dissatisfied and don't find ServiceMaster AHS a company that home owners should use. If you've have better luck than me - fantastic! I don't dispute your experiences. Mine have not been good so far but AHS can change my mind -- If They're ethical and concerned about their customers! Stay tuned...

Welcome to TFP, Imdrus :handwave:
It certainly does not sound like you're having a good experience. I would recommend at least next time you call to speak to a supervisor or someone in upper management. When we bought our home, we had 1 year's worth of coverage with AHS. They did fix our stove. We debated on renewing with them after the 1 year and now I'm glad we didn't from the sounds of what you're going through.

Please keep us posted and good luck.

I have also had a negative experience with AHS.

My fiance and I bought a new home in January 2009.

I wanted a tech to come out and inspect the filter and pump to make sure everything was working properly. Our sand filter has a leak (at the bottom) and occasionally sand/dust/bubbles would blow out of the returns.

AHS chooses what company will come out to repair/fix the problem in your home.

The company they sent to look at our pool equipment has a pretty good reputation in my city, so I was relieved.

However, when the pool tech arrived--he seemed to not give a Darn about my pool. He told me to be "patient" about the sand filter leak and that he would look at it "later." At that time, all he did was replace one pipe--we still have an air bubble in the pump basket! :grrrr:

I had to call the pool company back to tell them to send the pool tech back over to examine the sand filter. NOT ONCE did he open the lid on the sand filter to examine the sand????????????? :? He said the leak was due to "condensation," but i have felt the outside of the filter early in the morning, and there is no water.

So, to make a long story short, we examined the sand ourselves--put a hose through the sand gently (which didn't seem to help), and my fiance accidentally cracked the pressure gauge on top of the filter as he was putting the top back on. I ordered a new one from Leslie's, and as soon as it arrives, I am going to try to call AHS back and see what they recommend.

The odd thing is, even though the sand filter is leaking, our water is crystal clear. So, hopefully the sand filter is working okay. However, if there is a leak at the bottom of the filter, we know it is only going to get worse with time, and we would like to get it repaired/replaced now while we have the warranty.

Hopefully, AHS will send someone back out who will do a good job at examining everything.

I will report back to let you all know.

AHS pretty much covers what they want to cover at the time of your service call.

After many years experience as a home owner, I have come to form the opinion that any service that makes more money by NOT DOING WHAT YOU WANT (as in they collect your premium and increase their profit by denying you service coverage) is not a company I want to do business with.

Stuff breaks, and needs maintenance. I prefer to put a small emergency fund aside to handle Crud like this rather than try to insure for it.

All this said, we had AHS coverage when we purchased the house. As young, broke, ignorant kids... this was probably a good thing at the time. The A/C broke the 5th day in the house. The stove broke soon after, and after that the A/C broke again. All in the first few days in the house. We were really shaken.

The service company they sent out fixed everything, but come to find out that the copay was more than the cost of the basic service visit. Also it seemed like on every repair there was "fine print" to affect the coverage of the repair. The A/C coverage did not cover repair of a leak in the system due to corrosion or mechanical damage to tubing. What? what other reasons would it leak? The Stove repair did not cover replacement of wiring due to age or mechanical damage. again what?

It just seems like a scam where they deny coverage on darn near anything an continue to collect your premium. They rely on the consumer to just give up at some point. Then comes the hard sell on renewing the thing. We chose not to renew, and were pestered with calls and letters, and harrassment where they threatened to send us to collections for bills they sent us after the coverage expired, and we sent a notice of non-renewal.

Just a bad business model in my opinion where a company has a conflict of interest. They make more money by NOT doing what you want.

I was advised by my home inspector regarding any of the home warranty services to be very clear with service people who come to do work under such a contract that "If it is not covered I will not pay you to do the work." Apparently, some technicians try to find a way to charge several hundred dollars for what is not covered, to pad what they get for covered work. My AC guy, whom I trust, said he refused to work for the rate those sorts of busineses pay.

The agent serving the buyer who bought our house mentioned having a tech come to do work in the attic on the hot water heater, which was covered, but he demanded $600 to build a platform that was up to code to provide a workspace. She sent him off, hired a carpenter to do that for $100+ and called the guy back, who was pretty steamed that he missed out on the lucrative platform charge. Meanwhile, I had no platforms whatsoever and never had a service person complain or demand to have one built.

Another friend told us of calling someone out for pool work under a home warranty and getting into an argument over whether the thing was "broken" or not. They fix what is broke, but if it is simply malfunctioning, well, that is not broken. So, leaking, squealing, whatever, was not covered. Dead is covered but if it was not dead, it ain't broke.

After hearing all those stories, I called to cancel my home warranty and get a full refund since the 30 days had not elapsed. I figured, I have my own trusted contractors for AC and plumbing and can probably find someone trustworthy for the rest for less than the $600+ of that contract.
I sent the required fax. I waited 10 business days as requested and nothing came in the mail. I called again and found they managed to lose that fax that had been sent to them on time. I had proof I'd sent it and I refused to send another fax at that point since it would have been clearly after the required date. They did do the refund, but I was preparing for small claims court since I figured they were going to refuse.

So far, we have had to replace a spring in the door of the dishwasher but did it ourselves with one free phone call to the plumber to help us through one part that was not obvious. Cost $15 plus shipping for the part and some hours for the two of us figuring it out without a manual. Had it been covered it would have cost me $60, min.

Nothing else has gone wrong that would have been covered. Fiding and repairing the pool leak ($420) would not have been covered. I don't think the heater repair ($244) would have been covered since it worked, it just wouldn't get to temperature. That might have been covered, maybe, so we could count that against the $635, but even so, I am still way ahead at this point. Still 4 months left to see if I win.

After having AHS for a year I am catching on. The contractors hate working AHS claims because of the paperwork hassell and sometimes lower pay. But the lesser known service providers will participate just for the guaranteed $60 then they BS there way out of your house saying stuff "will be ok", or isn't broken, or isn't covered.

They really don't want to do the work, they just want the easy $60 for doing nothing.

They also put you as the last visit of the day be because they know they are only making $60 off of you and will probably make more money on their other jobs.

They also are "preconditioned" regarding the type of jobs they get from AHS. Because many of the people who carry warranties like this are let's say are not the DIY enabled type of individuals, they get a lot of simple minded service requests for minor repair stuff. So when they see an AHS visit on the docket they assume it is going to be a "quickie" in/out job because many tes it is.

I have been dispatched the majority of the time 3rd tier service providers installing replacement parts that don't match my system but were simple "what was on the truck" when they came.

I want quality stuff so I am done with AHS.

First post here and I already seem to be in the minority. Oh well, I have had AHS for 6 or 7 years and have had them come out probably 10 times. Some of the work I could do for the $60, but as I get older, my time becomes more valuable. I have had them replace the dryer belt twice. Repair the dishwasher latch. Replace the dish washer arm. Replace the oven thermostat. Replace the water heater thermostat. Replace my AC blower motor, and had my check my AC condenser drain lines checked(replacement was not covered and I was informed by the tech, so he blew them out. The lines clogged up again quickly so I did replace them). They have never refused to cover anything, but I usually have a good idea about coverage either when I call or when the tech calls me to verify the appointment. The techs have always been courteous and over the top helpful. Usually offering help above what is covered. I have recommended them every chance I have gotten.

imdrus said:
My customer experience with American Home Shield (AHS) is not good and I cannot recommend them. I am NOT anti-AHS, and I am acting in good-faith trying to resolve a present dispute with AHS. If we reach a satisfactory resolution to my dispute, I will certainly tell everyone how cooperative and helpful they have been.

AHS, a ServiceMaster company, has the expectation that their customers know the precise details of their contracts. Buyer beware!

I scheduled a service request on AHS's website. There was no obvious mechanism that allowed me to check if the service I requested was a covered service. [NOTE: If I knew a service wasn't covered, I would most certainly find my own vendor]. The comfirmation notice I received online listed the service fee as $60 - but now I know that this doesn't actually mean a thing! Just to make sure, I called this morning to include multiple services in a single dispatch (truck-roll) for my $60 co-pay (only $60). I'm unemployed and unable to afford an open-ended or unwarranted dispatch. The AHS agent I spoke with by phone believed that my request for pool lighting and electrical repairs was covered by the Vendor, Blue Star Pool Care, but not by a different vendor, All-American Electrical Services. I was told that All-American Electrical Services wasn't approved for pool work, but I WASN'T informed by AHS that pool-related lighting wouldn't be a covered service under any circumstances.

When Blue Star Pool Care arrived at my home, the technician immediately informed me that AHS wouldn't pay for pool-related lighting service. I told him that I was led to believe otherwise but he assured me he was right. I said, 'In that case, you can leave'.

When I called AHS, the agent I spoke with told me that my pool lighting was covered. I said, that's what I understood from the AHS rep I spoke with earlier but the pool service technician assured me that AHS would not cover this. Who is right? The AHS agent then put me on hold to investigate further. When she returned she told me that the service vendor was correct [Note: It seems suspicious to me that Blue Star Pool Care didn't call me prior to dispatching a truck -- Guaranteed money perhaps?!] I told her that I attempted to book only warranted services earlier by web AND phone but a dispatch was made for uncovered services that I DID NOT WANT or REQUEST.

I continue reaching out to AHS to try and resolve this issue but thus far I have been ignored. If somebody can tell me how to work successfully with AHS, I'm open to your ideas. As of right now, I'm extremely dissatisfied and don't find ServiceMaster AHS a company that home owners should use. If you've have better luck than me - fantastic! I don't dispute your experiences. Mine have not been good so far but AHS can change my mind -- If They're ethical and concerned about their customers! Stay tuned...

Only way you will get them to act is to file a BBB claim. I ended up doing just that with a lawyer waiting in the wings. One of their reject contractors came out and misdiagnosed our a/c problem. Told us the evaporator was leaking, showed me where there was "oil" on the line, but I needed $1700 in out of pocket expenses to bring my old furnace "up to code".

What they didnt realize is that I use to work for an HVAC company. I played along. Wrung my hands in front of them, said "oh no, oh no" basically played the uninformed, uneducated homeowner. Truly a Academy award winning performance.

Then I had someone come out I trusted. Found the leak in the discharge line, fixed and on the way for $517. Wasn't the evaporator coil at all. In fact, no need to bring anything up to code because the unit wasn't being replaced. Fraud anyway you spell it.

So on the phone I went. Spoke at length with AHS.. I was told someone was going to call me back. Never did. So I told them they had a time frame to get a hold of me or else I was going to take drastic measures. People never seem to listen. So I did. Off to the BBB website and on the phone with a lawyer.

Took me a month and a half but I got my $517. They wanted no part of fraud.

As for the contractor? Contacted my state Attorney General, and the Contractor License issue board. This company is now out of business.

Be more then happy to share my BBB complaint with you.

After a year I am done with them and any other so called home owners warranty programs. I will sock away the cash in an emergency fund to cover any unforeseen emergencies.

[quote="Big ThunderAfter a year I am done with them and any other so called home owners warranty programs. I will sock away the cash in an emergency fund to cover any unforeseen emergencies.[/quote]

After hearing a few stories about home warranty companies, some posted on epinions.com, some from friends or realtors (who I suspect get free contracts for selling product but I don't know that, but nontheless get shafted by the contractors) I let the seller of the property pay for the warranty and then within the first 30 days, I cancelled the contract and got a check back. That money went into an emergency fund.

The one year anniversary is in 3 weeks. I have had only one item that might have been covered, we did it ourselves for $30 and a few hours thus saving the $60 service call. None of the pool related items would have been covered, as they worked, they just didn't work correctly, and the warranty company will try to wait you out since they only fix what is broken, not what is malfuctioning. Even had they covered that, I'd still be ahead at this point.

anonapersona said:
After hearing a few stories about home warranty companies, some posted on epinions.com, some from friends or realtors (who I suspect get free contracts for selling product but I don't know that, but nontheless get shafted by the contractors) I let the seller of the property pay for the warranty and then within the first 30 days, I cancelled the contract and got a check back. That money went into an emergency fund.

Now that's an interesting idea!

My seller paid for a year and I renewed it for one year because this house is 100 years old and has lots of stuff that could go wrong. Unfortunately it did not have the pool rider, which would have paid for a few things (maybe! - missing filter parts and pump rebuild). I used it for a plumbing problem in the first year. This year, they paid for a repair to my washing machine so far (switch and timer). I think that the garage has a leak in the roof so that may be another claim I'll need to make. There is a fridge in the basement that came with the house but doesn't work but they only cover one in the kitchen (even though I brought it with me). I thought that I'd need to get service on a sky lite but it just needed caulk around the glass so I did that myself. It's $60 per call. I'd use both the plumber and appliance repair guy again if I needed to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.