New construction proposal in NE Texas

Apr 20, 2016
Wills point tx
Hello from NE Texas!!!! 45 min east of Dallas. Been reading for a while but have just recently made an account. What a awesome forum to gather a enormous amount of info from. Best thing is you know the person that's trying to help you is not trying to sell you something. Just wanting to see what the tfp thought of this design and proposal from a local builder. Im having trouble uploading my pics from photobucket. Don't know how to link them in this thread. Thanks in advance

You can use a website like: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet or Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing (need to register) to upload your pictures. The forum has some built in photo hosting as well, but it has limited space unless you contribute to the site.

Once you find a place to upload your picture, you can post it on here using forum code like this:

Example:
mnZkGgs.jpg

The code to this lookes like:
url]
but without the extra spaces

Hello by the way! And welcome to the forums!

edit: If you need more in depth help, here's a thread that has picture by picture help:
Posting Photo's Tutorial

Welcome to TFP!

Copy the IMG code to the right of the pic in Photobucket and paste it in your post. This will embed the pic in your thread so people don't have to click out of,the thread to view the pic.

If you're using Imgur, right click the photo that was uploaded to Imgur and then "Copy image address." Then paste the copied address between the IMG code:
This will display the photo in your posts :)

Beautiful pool model! Looks great :)

I'm not an expert, but I'll throw in my 2 cents:

- On such a large pool, a 2nd skimmer would probably be a good idea
- Consider a robot pool cleaner over having a dedicated pump/pool cleaner (an article about the different pool cleaner types, pros and cons: Pool School - Automatic Pool Cleaners)
- Consider adding a 2nd pool light for such a large pool
- Is that a variable speed pump? (Pump info: Pool School - Pump Basics)
- Have you thought about adding a SWG system? (Info: Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators)

That's all I got :) Hopefully others give you a more detailed pass through.

(Also, your pictures will not show correctly without having the .jpg at the end of the url) (Yay you did it :D)

Second skimmer noted thanks. My brother told me the same about the second light. My pool guy assures me that it's not needed. It is a concern to me because we are out in the country and I don't do well with snakes lol. I've also asked him about the pump. He told me that it was not variable and that a variable speed was unnecessary. I asked him about the efficiency of the pump quoted vs. the variable and was told that the variable would be more efficient as long as I had the time to sit out there and mess with it all the time. I also had concerns about the one pump with the spa spillover and the two bubblers. Once again he told me that the pump was more than capable. He could be 100% right but thought I could get another opinion from the tfp minds.

Ok, here go my thought in no particular order:

1, Dump the Nature 2 system, we strongly advise against them around here, (green hair, pool staining, etc.) if you want to know more details of why just search the forum on Nature 2, there will be hundreds of threads about them.

2, Home run all the returns, it does not cost much more, and if you ever get a underground plumbing leak you can isolate it and potentially put off fixing it until the off season rather than jackhammering up your pool deck in the middle of the summer and loosing use of your pool for weeks.

3, I also note it seems like you only have one skimmer listed, I will not say you must have 2 or more, but for most people it helps, but this depends on local wind patterns, where I live the wind tends to blow from the south in the summer and the northwest the rest of the year, you want skimmers placed on the downwind side of the pool, so that means around here most people need 2 one for the summer wind, one for the rest of the year.

4, Make the pool deeper if you are going to have a diving board and make sure the slope of the pool going to the shallow end if far enough away. There are detailed diving profiles listed on the SR Smith web page for each model of diving board they sell. Personally I feel a 20x40 ft pool is about the minimum size for a safe diving board pool. Even then there is a need for caution when diving head first so you don't kiss the slope on the way up.

5, Consider making the shallow end a bit deeper, just 3 or 4 inches makes a lot of difference here, also we often see gunite pools built shallower than specified as they often make the pool bottom thicker than planned when shooting the gunite so even if you spec a 3'6" pool you may end up with 3'4" or 3'3" (also make sure those specs are to the water line not to the edge)

6, I second the bit about a pool robot over all other pool cleaner options, as down the road when it needs to be replaced, it is MUCH easier.

7, Get more details, which exact model of pump and filter are they trying to sell you, which exact model of automation system, ...

8, Strongly consider an SWG for chlorination

That is all for now my wife is telling me I need to go
Ike

p.s. also that second light, and you need to remember Pool Builders may or may not be good at building pools, but most know NOTHING about living with a pool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to TFP!

Frankly your PB seems to be firm in his opinions but they don't seem spot on. I see some good recommendations above. VS pump for efficiency and flexibility. Two LED's are essential for a pool that size, no question. And get a robot and ditch the booster pump.

Thanks for the recommendations. Why does the PB think that variable speed pump is not worth the extra money? Also what's the thoughts on pricing? It's suppose to be turn key except the dirt that will come from the hole. I can move it with the tractor no big deal.

- - - Updated - - -

Also it says the cartridge filter is rated for 550-600 sqft and my pool is 680 sqft

With pool studio, they always give "views" that most owners would never experience for their finished pools. The layout shown looks great from the other side of the house - because you can see the raised wall and the steps, etc. For me, the look of the pool from the house side was as important as the pool itself. We also found ourselves liking a design till we laid it on the backyard with rope. (That design had a great overhead view - another view that we will never get to experience.)

With the water level 24 to 27 inches lower when viewed from the house, you may want to get an idea of what that looks like in pool studio. If you are sitting near one of the windows or standing - how much of the view will be lost?

Second point - get pricing on upgrades at time of quoting. Tile, coping and plaster upgrades specifically. Ask PB about their plaster company - which ones they are certified for. If PB is associated with a WetEdge / DiamondBrite plastering company, they are going to discourage Pebbletec / Beadcrete / Stonescapes and other finishes that you may like more. Same with tiles - perhaps visit the tile store and see what is standard and what is the cost for the tiles you really like. For some reason, prices are always higher after the contract has been signed...lol

- - - Updated - - -

My guess is he sells Hayward equipment, and Hayward does not have the best variable speed pumps in my opinion

Interesting observation. I think PB is also telling you that he has not had much success with VS Pumps - probably needs some better skills to program them right? ( I'm guessing by his comment about - sitting there all days and playing with them...lol)

Thanks philboyj. I never thought of the layout like that. I went back to PB and told him I wanted the whole bid itemized so I could know what upgrades would cost and where I could cut back on the price as a whole. I asked about the plaster and was told it's a generic white with blue quartz mixed at 66% onsite. (Was 33%) with a 7yr warranty

Note I am not saying anything bad about Hayward ( I have a Hayward filter, and owned a Hayward superpump for years) in general, just that they are a bit behind the curve on Variable speed pumps, and probably pool automation in general. Overall comparing to the automotive world I would say Hayward is the GM of the pool world, they are popular, mostly reasonably priced, but built to a price point. The Tri-Star is their top of the line pump, but has been out on the market for 10-15 years, maybe longer, there is nothing wrong with it, but I have always felt it was overpriced for what it is. As to Variable speed vs 2 speed, variable speed is much more important if you live where electricity rates are high, or if you have a number of water features where you need to fine tune the overall flow, not just divert relative flow with valves. On a more positive note the Hayward SWG is by far the number 1 recommended SWG on this board, if you do go with an SWG though, make sure to oversize it by 50-100% this will allow shorter pump run time and longer cell life which will save you money in the long run.

Love the shape of the pool BUT the first thing I thought of was................you will not be able to see the pool from the house :( I get quite a bit of joy looking out at my pool at different times of the day when I am not in it.

How many quotes/bibs did you get? I would get at least 2 more if at all possible. You will be able to play them against each other for better prices most of the time.

Kim:cat:

There is simply no reason to build a pool without a VS pump! If you think you have enough lighting, add another! When I got quotes from major builders they all only included one light, they all said 1 is enough. When I switched to owner build, my friend who help me as a consultant (he used to build pools) said I would need at least 1 large intellibrite and 2 Globrites. I went with 4 Globrites and although it's good, I wish I had 1 more. Also, I would strongly suggest a swg system. So easy and the water feels great on skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.