New to all of this! New Pool! New to Forum! Where to start?? Wonky water test results

Apr 30, 2016
Gainesville
Hello!
I have a 18x52 round intex with a sand filter. I have just finished filling it and the pump has been running for 1 hour. My water tests results are a little wonky and I am not sure where to start. I have never owned a pool so I have no bad habits to break. I have read through pool school and have a basic understanding of pool chemistry but mainly want to get off on good footing to help prevent issues.

FC is 0
pH is under 7 - I guess 6.8
Base demand was 10 drops to get is to 7.3/7.4
Water Temp is 74 degrees
TA is 425
CH is 275
CYA s 0

I have 10% liquid bleach - Will be getting Borax shortly

What do I do first? Add bleach to prevent algae? Deal with my low pH? High Alkalinity?

Thank you so much for the help!!

London
Gainesville FL

Yes, add bleach. With zero CYA, you only want to target 3. It will disappear in a few hours, but that's expected. It's a fresh fill, so no worries about algae yet.

You need to get some CYA in there so it will retain chlorine. Target 40 or 50.

If you need help figuiring out how to use poolmath to figure quantities: Pool School - PoolMath

If you want to know what to buy and how to add: Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Now, the pH/TA. I'd repeat that TA test. The R-009 reagent can develop static electricity which makes smaller drops which makes falsely high readings. So wipe the tip off with a damp paper towel before each drop. If your TA is really and truly up above 300, don't do anything. It's high enough that the pH will get driven up in a very short time. Just having some kids splashing in there ought to do it. Your pool is vinyl, so there's no danger of plaster damage, and pH will rise soon enough.

Let us know if the TA test changes, and of the pH is already rising.

OK I re tested
the TA and it is down to 300 so either testing error or progress either way I will take it!
slight - possibly imagined improvement in pH

Going to get some CYA - love this place thank you!
I will post update - kids are thrilled they have to splash around to fix the pool :)

Ok
Latest readings
FC is 3.6
pH is 7.2
Base demand was 8 drops to get is to 7.3/7.4
Water Temp is 74 degrees
TA is 300
CYA is 35-40

Should I add more stabilizer? Wait and see on the pH/TA? I have a fountain running to aerate the water

I thought I should add that I checked the pH with my aquarium testing stuff and the alkalinity is testing at over 300 but the pH is reading between 7 and 7.2

I would hold-off on any more stabilizer for the moment just to let it all settle and check perhaps in another day or two to confirm. For now, we'll say CYA is 40 which means your FC should be around 5, "never" under 3 ppm. So try to keep the FC between 4-6. As for pH, if the kids are swimming, let them. That's raising pH as we type. The fountain helps as well. After the kids are water-logged and take a break, test pH. If you need to adjust it up you can. The "lowering TA drill" will take a while, so just be patient. The TA test practicing will only make you better as well. Hope that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.