What do I do now?

Homer

Apr 30, 2016
Scottsdale/AZ
:confused::brickwall:Glad I found TFP. Although the 2 pool stores tried to help me, it didn't work. Ordered my Taylor test kit, be here in a few days. Gonna tackle this myself and with the help of you fine folks! First time in my 20 years I lost my pool. It's always been pucks in a floater and the occasional 3 lb powder shock after a monsoon storm. Never has went green on me before, so I've been lucky! I'm waiting for the test kit before I waste any more $$ on chemicals. After 3 bottles of algeaside, 12 gal. of liquid chlorine, (not all at once) brushing and running pump, it's gone(with the wind). I know I have to do the SLAM, question is, what to do now without any more $$ spent...can't get any worse, CAN IT?? 20,000 gals/in ground 1 hp heyward 240 sand filter

Welcome to TFP, we can get you going :) until you get your test kit you can put 1 gallon of bleach/liquid chlorine in your pool a day in front of a return. That will slow it down on turning more green :)

What test kit did you get? is there an ETA when you will receive it...

Check out the links in my signature and do some light reading :)

Welcome to TFP!

While you are waiting for your test kit over the next few days, I would do the following:
  1. Stock up on lots of plain, unscented liquid bleach / liquid chlorine. Since you will be doing a SLAM, I would define "lots", as an amount that would fill at least half of an 8' bed of a full-size pickup. If you do the SLAM the way we recommend, you will go through prodigious amounts of bleach in the early stages of the SLAM.
  2. Clean out any debris that may be in the pool
  3. Read the this article: Defeating Algae
  4. Suggest adding information about your pool and related equipment in your signature. By doing this, it will automatically appear in all your posts so you do not have to re-enter it each time. If you have a SWG, please include those letters in your signature so it stands out as the advice for SWG vs. non-SWG is often different.

Wouldn't bother using any more algaecide - it is totally ineffective in a pool that already has an algae outbreak.

Welcome, Homer :wave:

Things actually can get worse, so don't tempt Fate by asking. ;) The water isn't black and thick enough to walk on yet, is it?

I concur with Casey. Add some bleach just to arrest things, but don't expect any improvement. Given where you live and what you've been feeding your pool, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you discover astronomical CYA and CH values, which indicate a drain and refill is in order. But without test results, it's too early to start pumping. While you await the test kit, you can brush and vacuum to remove any blown-in debris, and perhaps try cleaning the filter. At least break up any clumps in the sand, because once you start clearing the swamp, that filter is going to be working hard.

I hope drain and refill is not in order. I've always been told that's not recommended in the AZ heat, which is just around the corner. Myth? I don't know. I've always done it in the cooler winter months with no issues. Thanks:study:

not a myth but you can use a sprinkler to keep it wet and cool, some have started in the late afternoon emptying and started filling at night.. this works better with a huge rental pump from lowes or HD..

But no need to worry about it now, when you get your TF100 (great choice by the way :) ) post up your numbers and we can go from there..

Puck o.d.

Just became a member and spent a lot of time last couple of days navigating through this site. Best knowledge on the internet! Thanks to all of you! Waiting on my tf 100 test kit so I can get started on this "mess" I created in my backyard. I say that because I may have O.D. my pool with the pucks. Before a 2 week vacation last fall, I filled 2 floaters(5 pucks each) and kept them filled. And now I have a green pool, with the 8 gals of chlorine I added the past couple of weeks being worthless. Being a gambling man, I would wager to say I "over pucked the pool". Won't know for sure till my kit gets here, but CYA is probably through the roof! Again, "knowledge is power" and you guys/gals on this site have it. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Puck o.d.

No worries. Many of us were in those same shoes before TFP cracked the code for us as well. If your CYA is high, the test kit will tell you. Then we can help you make a plan to reduce it. Hang in there and keep us posted. Glad you are finding the site helpful.

Yes!!! Test kit be here tomorrow!

10 gal Clorox waiting and ready for the green monster! That's just what I'll pour after my first beer....another 10 gal on the stand by, in case I need to drink another beer! Oh, and Wal Mart cashier got irritated after unfolding all those .50 per jug coupons on that bleach! Numbers coming tomorrow...can't wait for ya'lls advice on this mess I got. GREEN TO CLEAN baby! GREEN TO CLEAN!!!:party::party::cheers::cheers:

Re: Yes!!! Test kit be here tomorrow!

The Walmart cashier got irritated? Why? What were you wearing? Will you be the featured creature on peopleofwalmart one of these days?

attachment.php

Re: Yes!!! Test kit be here tomorrow!

Ha! She's was mad because she scanned 20 jugs individually, and tore off coupon on each jug one at a time...I prolly would've scanned 1 jugx20, 1 couponx20 and be happy...thinking this dude's gonna make his pool SHINE!

I merged all your threads since they are all related. Keep your related questions and discussions together as it is easier to help you. Thanks, jblizzle

With the high CYA, water replacement is the first step ... why adjust the pH if you are going to dump water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.