New Pool Build Houston area

Slm3rob

Bronze Supporter
Mar 16, 2016
Conroe, TX
Hi All,

Wonderful site. I've been reading quite a bit here for a couple of months. Thanks to Wendy for letting me come see her pool and visit with her for a bit. Very much appreciated! We have narrowed our pool builder search down to two. I would like to know how these setups look to you all and what you would change. And/or which seems the better set up. Sorry, no pictures yet. Both come in close to the same price. Geometric style pool with raised wall and water feature. Sports pool. No spa. I'm most interested in how the equipment choices could be tweaked. Both builders Pentair equipment.

Our yard slopes and Builder #1 says pool will come out of ground about 18 -24 inches unless we remove a couple of more trees. If we do that then they can grade behind the pool differently. Love the trees :).
Builder #2 says pool will come out of ground 4 feet and has placed extra structural costs in the build quote. Other 2 builders we got quotes from also felt 18-24 inches so the 4 foot thing is a little bothersome to us.

Builder #1
37 x 18.6, perimeter: 106', depth: 4-5.6-4
IntelliFlo VS 3.0 hp pump (pool)
Superflo 2.0 hp pump (water feature)
CCP 520 Cartridge Filter
IntelliChlor IC40 Salt system
Racer Vac w/Boost Rite Pump
2 LED Large Intellibrite Lights
Dual Timeclocks w/freeze Protection
LED light controls
Belgard Pavers for decking 671 sq. ft.

Builder #2
34.6 x 16.7, perimeter: 91', depth: 4-5.6-4
IntelliFlo XF pump
CCP 420 Cartridge Filter
Intellichlor IC40 Salt system
Prowler 830 Vac
3 color Globrite LED (we will likely eliminate one of these as the tanning shelf it would go would go away)
Easy Touch4 Control Panel w/Freeze Protection
Travertine Decking 712 sq. ft.

Thanks for any input,
Linda

Wendy, you helped so much!!! My husband really wanted some kind of paver so...we asked about the pavers or travertine and they looked it up and said there was a paver war going on in our area and we could get it for $100 more than spraydeck. He is so happy!

What fun!

The one thing that stands out to me is the one builder has a smaller filter...........always get bigger=less cleaning!

I can't wait to see the pics. One thing you can do is share your current yard and show us the slope they are working with. It would be interesting to see why the one has the pool 4' out.....did they say why?

Kim:cat:

Pic of pool design we like best
image.jpg3_zpsonrtalix.jpg

I've been in the tree industry for the last 12 years. Own and operate here in Tx. We do pre construction consults. From reading what your options are it sounds like the trees that you our worried about wont have a great chance of survival through the construction process. I would take that into consideration before you spend the money on the extra 4ft wall with bracing expense. Any time you go into changing grade under the drip line you will drastically reduce the trees chance of survival. It may not be immediate but will start to decline shortly after. I love trees probably more than the next person but I still try to save people the time and money.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Treewizard,

That is a great concern of ours. The pine tree on the bottom picture (to the left) is coming down for sure. It's the three smaller trees to the left of that one that we thought we would try to not cut down. The pool will come to about where the pine tree is located. Could you give the picture another look and tell me if you think those three smaller ones need to come down?

We are willing to go ahead and cut them down- just not wanting to.

Wills Point is east of Dallas, right?

Can you ask each builder to spec out the other builders proposal, such that you get two apples/apples comparisons?

LOVE this idea! Also sit down with the 4 ft one and ask what they are thinking and why.

Your backyard is gorgeous! Hmmm infinity edge overlooking the beauty. :)

OH YEAH! No blocking the veiw!

That is some beautiful St. Augustine grass.

hehe that is the first thing I thought of when I saw the pictures "man that is some pretty grass!" But hey my weeds are green so LOL

Spoke with the actual pool builder (salesman said 4ft and that's what they went by when they drew up the plans). He came and measured the yard and said what all the others said- 18 - 24 " out of the ground. So that's better.

They are reworking the plans too. So we'll see what they come up with.

And yes, the grass is beautiful right now. Thanks to my husband!

We are starting to build in a couple of weeks. We had a couple questions if anyone has time to give me their opinion.

The pool will be SWG about 21,000 gallons. The Builder has listed in the equipment an IC40 salt cell AND an Intellichlor . We think this is overkill. When I questioned it they said the intellichlor was in case the SWG failed, we would have a backup system. I also asked for the price difference to upgrade to the IC 60. They told me they a
the IC40 is more than enough and the 60 would generate 2lbs of chlorine a day (24 hours) which would be too much for our size pool. So my Two questions:

1. Is the Intellichlor necessary and

2. Should we try to upgrade to the IC60 (we know we would not run the SWG 24 hours a day.

thanks!
Linda

The bigger the cell for the SWG the less it will have to work/run thus saving you money on the power bill.

I don't know enough about the other system in question. I will let someone else answer that one.

I run my salt cell everyday. It's how the pool is sanitized. You can control the percentage of salt so it's making just the right amount of chlorine for your pool. TFP has charts you'll want to print out and use as references. I would still go with the larger cell and dump the inline Chlorinator. You won't be using salt until 28 days after plaster. Who will be maintaing your pool after start up?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.