New Pool Build Houston area

I love how PB's are always so shocked by the knowledge of TFP folks!!

Go ahead and get the 'Great Value Bleach' from Wal-Mart. It is 8.25 percent rather than 6 percent and barely costs more. Just be sure to change the percent choice in Pool Math from 6 percent to 8.25 to get the new amount of bleach to add. Other stores should also have a generic, plain 8.25 bleach. Remember - do not get any bleach that is splashless or has other special features (additives).

So I have put almost a gallon of bleach 8.25 % in my pool everyday for the past few days. And I have put one gallon of MA in (yesterday). I have been putting the bleach in around 6 at night. It takes the chlorine up to about 5 but by the next evening at the same time the chlorine is gone. With no CYA, is this about right considering its been sunny and in the mid 90's? The pool has a lot of Sun everyday.

Yeah with no CYA your FC will drop like that on a sunny, hot day.

In post #96 you said he added stabilizer. Stabilizer IS CYA. Your PB needs to get some in and if he does not then you need to.

How are you testing? Can you please add your test kit in your siggy so we can see it at a glance. THANKS!

:kim:

Yeah with no CYA your FC will drop like that on a sunny, hot day.

In post #96 you said he added stabilizer. Stabilizer IS CYA. Your PB needs to get some in and if he does not then you need to.

How are you testing? Can you please add your test kit in your siggy so we can see it at a glance. THANKS!

Kim,

Thanks, that's what I thought about the chlorine. It seems it needs MA about every 3-4 days.

Post 96 isn't from me.

I talked to the pool guy about cya and he told me the "pool council" or some pool governing group, has changed their standard on cya. Public pools are shut down if they find any in them. I think he was telling me he didn't want to or wasn't going to put any in or didn't see it as important. I tested it on Saturday and the cya is zero.

Anyway, the plaster guy said to get some in there. I have it coming, I don't think the pool guy is going to do it though I'm going to tell the pool builder to have him do it.

i updated my signature. I have the TFP kit. The water definitely looks better, super clear. I can't imagine what would be happening if I wasn't adding the bleach. It's been very hot and humid here.

Sorry about #96..........I did not even look at the name......I just read the post (bad mod :slidehalo:)...........in that case, yes get some in there.

When you do to add it do NOT follow the directions on the bottle. Put it in a sock or two (yes, like you wear) and hang it in front of the return. You can squeeze it to help it dissolve faster. Once it has all dissolved wait until the water is mixed up good (over night or all day) THEN test for it.

I put it in a large sock, tie a knot in the end, and put it in front of the return on my sunshelf. Then I step on it a lot while in the pool to squeeze it out. It takes about a day to get a good 3lbs fully dissolved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love how PB's are always so shocked by the knowledge of TFP folks!!

Go ahead and get the 'Great Value Bleach' from Wal-Mart. It is 8.25 percent rather than 6 percent and barely costs more. Just be sure to change the percent choice in Pool Math from 6 percent to 8.25 to get the new amount of bleach to add. Other stores should also have a generic, plain 8.25 bleach. Remember - do not get any bleach that is splashless or has other special features (additives).

Suz,

Whenever you have had to use your in line chlorinator, has it been effective in getting chlorine in the pool? They have ours set on 5 but I'm having to add about a gallon of bleach every day. Until they can put salt in (October 3, hopefully), they are using the inline chlorinator. I'm wondering if it's even working.

Thanks,
Linda

Here are my readings from this morning after working on the chemistry a bit this week. There were workers in the pool fixing a couple of plaster issues, plus we had our gutters cleaned out which put a lot of debris in the pool. It's cleaned up now.

The pool guy always comes when I'm at work (he put the vacuum in yesterday) so,I can't ever see what he's actually doing. My husband doesn't want me asking the builder to "fire" the pool guy because we are essentially paying for the service for the first month and the salt isn't in yet and we haven't gone through pool school.

The pool builder told me on Wednesday he would be by to make sure there were chlorine tabs in the inline chlorinator because I told him there was NO chlorine in the pool. I was adding about a gallon a day just for it to register at about 3 which was getting eaten by the sun by the end of the day. (I checked later that evening and there were some in there). Since then I've had to add very little chlorine. Makes me think there was nothing in there before. Today the chlorine is reading higher then it ever has.

I added some Cya (about 4 lbs). I didn't want to add as much as pool math said because of those chlorine tabs which are going away next week when they add the salt. So it seems that the chlorine is holding better because of that too.

The calcium and TA seem high to me. I'm going to add some Acid in a bit and will put the waterfall on to try to lower the TA. Should I try to adjust anything else?

FC: 3.5
CC: .5
TC: 4
CH: 325
TA: 120
PH: 7.8
CYA: 40 (about)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes I agree. I have several friends who I sent them the link for this site. One friend did her research and started following the TFP method and she is so pleased. She was already taking care of her own pool but just the way the builder instructed her to. Now she feels like she has a better handle on things and her pool is so much more sparkly.

This site has been such a blessing and thanks to all the moderators and members for giving of their time and instruction.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.