New Pool Build Houston area

Thanks Kim and Marla,

i will be maintaining the pool. We have 3 teenagers- they will learn how to also.

Marla, that's what I thought. From everything I have read here and in talking with friends who have pools, The inline chlorinator just didn't seem necessary. I will print out the charts and I am reading up on all the pool school info now.

I will post pictures when they start digging. I'll take some pictures of our tile, deck choices for Kim when I can.

So after start up, you'll need to have liquid chlorine, aka bleach, on hand. You can get that anywhere, Walmart, Target, etc. just make sure it's not old. There will be a set of numbers printed on the bottle. I think the first will be the year, then the day of the year. Ex. 2016089 would be the 89th day of 2016. Kim, did I get that right?? If you can find 8.25 % bleach, that's great, if not you'll just need more. :D. Pool Math is your friend and will let you know how much to add. Oh and definitely make sure you have a great test kit, like the TF-100. It's easy to use!

Before they added salt to ours I used bleach from Target. PB also added pucks every week. I was worried about them adding to the CYA, but mine was low and they helped increase it. The TF-100 is great. Also get the speed stirrer. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool is laid out in yard. It looks so big, even though we had measured it out ourselves, it seems so much bigger.

I have two questions. I thought I would want to put step markers but I'm not really finding anything I love. I can keep looking but would like opinions - are they necessary or just bling? I'd rather not put them then be disappointed if I don't love them.

Second... I'd like to put a sheer descent on each side of the waterfall in between the columns. Builder said he thinks if we keep them to 24 inches the booster pump for the waterfall should be able to handle all of it. Also said each descent would cost about $300. Does that sound about right?

i will post pictures tomorrow and make sure we measure.

Pool is laid out in yard. It looks so big, even though we had measured it out ourselves, it seems so much bigger.

I have two questions. I thought I would want to put step markers but I'm not really finding anything I love. I can keep looking but would like opinions - are they necessary or just bling? I'd rather not put them then be disappointed if I don't love them.

Second... I'd like to put a sheer descent on each side of the waterfall in between the columns. Builder said he thinks if we keep them to 24 inches the booster pump for the waterfall should be able to handle all of it. Also said each descent would cost about $300. Does that sound about right?

i will post pictures tomorrow and make sure we measure.

Do you have younger kids or like to swim under water a lot? I think the toe tiles are important to mark edges of shelves, benches, and steps so the fact that there is a drop off is obvious. Also, so you can see the edge when under water. I think it depends on the color of your plaster though as to whether or not you really would need them. I'm sure others will jump in too. What is your plaster choice? Maybe we can help you find some possibilities?

That sounds about right to me I think? We have a feature pump our 3 sheers and bubblers are on and then the blower our spa uses, plus the VSP for the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Twinklesmommy,

No young children, 3 teens. I don't think they need the markers, I thought it would look nice, but then I looked online and didn't really see anything I loved.

Plaster is Luna Quartz Montego- a medium blue color.

We had a party this weekend - lots of teenagers and younger. We also have multiple benches around the pool. Numerous times I heard parents say "watch out for the benches". Our marker tiles are spaced wide (about 12") and blend in somewhat with the plaster color. I'd highly recommend using marker tiles and ones that contrast well with the pool finish. In hindsight, for MY swimmming, I wish I put marker tiles on the vertical edges of benches because I like to swim underwater and they do sneak up on me. It's amazing how invisible benches become when the water is turbulent from action in the pool (when viewed from above the surface). And at night, with colored LED's, some colors aren't as bright, and the benches surprise me then too sometimes.

We had a party this weekend - lots of teenagers and younger. We also have multiple benches around the pool. Numerous times I heard parents say "watch out for the benches". Our marker tiles are spaced wide (about 12") and blend in somewhat with the plaster color. I'd highly recommend using marker tiles and ones that contrast well with the pool finish. In hindsight, for MY swimmming, I wish I put marker tiles on the vertical edges of benches because I like to swim underwater and they do sneak up on me. It's amazing how invisible benches become when the water is turbulent from action in the pool (when viewed from above the surface). And at night, with colored LED's, some colors aren't as bright, and the benches surprise me then too sometimes.

Thanks bmoreswim, that's what I needed to know. The vertical edges is something I had thought about too. By the way, love your pool!

bmore helped explain why we needed them too. We host foreign exchange students each school year and are local coordinators so we often have a house full of kids and teens. I can just imagine them getting ready to jump in from our back wall and not seeing the bench that is right there.

Dig is amost done. Steel tomorrow, gunite on Friday- which I will miss. I am taking our daughter to a diving competition so I told our son he has to get up early and rake pictures for me.
image.jpg

Last edited:
The steel will be fun to watch. It is like an art form.

After they are done with the steel you have a "job" to do........measure everything. Is it long,wide, deep, etc enough? Add 6 or so inches for the gunite and plaster.

How old is your son? Just make sure he has a phone to text you pics and ask questions just in case they have something they want to check on or change.

Kim:cat:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.