2nd Lesson Learned - Only Use Leslie's when you have to!

sh9730

Apr 17, 2016
Casa Grande, AZ
I promise I wont post every frustration forever - but MAYBE some of my lessons will help others.

First lesson learned was don't skimp on pavers with your ABG installation (see other posts).

Second Lesson learned - Leslie's is really expensive!!

Went to Walmart and thanks to posts here got my Bleach, a small box of baking soda and some stabilizer. Had to return some stuff to Home Depot and wife wanted to explore some "screening" options (lattice etc.) and saw they had Muriatic Acid for a good price so grabbed that while there.

Unfortunately Walmart didn't have any skimmers and really wanted to get one before we did the refill of the pool on Monday. SO, Leslies it was - while there my wife saw the "AquaCritter" (the yellow one) and had to have it right then - $189.00!!! First thing I did when we got home was googled and see that Pool Supplies Superstore for $129.99 with FREE OVERNIGHT SHIPPING and NO TAX! Even Doheny and Walmart.com had it for 129.00 but not free overnight shipping.

SO, I plan to return the item to Leslie's tomorrow but even UNOPENED I have a feeling they are going to charge me a restock fee of 15% (anybody have experience with them for unopened returns?). Still we ll save $30.00 or more by doing it so worth it.

But I will reserve my Leslie's trips for immediate need items only!

I don't want to have a Lesson #3 but I am sure I will.....

Yeah that is Leslies for you, the one somewhat near here is in a nice prime commercial location next door to Outback, so I guess they have to mark things up so much to pay that rent, and other overhead. A couple of weeks ago I was by there (meeting someone at Outback, and I arrived early actually) and saw Leslies had a sidewalk sale going on, included in their "sale" were Swimways Spring Floats (my preferred pool lounger) for double what they sell for on Amazon.

HA HA - I did just have a SOMEWHAT pleasant surprise from Leslies - When returning I fully expected to here the "re-stocking fee" speech - even though my items were unopened - but lo and behold - NO - got the full amount credited back to the card. Still - I will only use them in emergencies.

I am taking the day off from pool stuff now and heading to a Diamondbacks game! Thanks everyone for all the help. Monday is re-fill day and then I have to learn about chemicals!!

Wow Mickelin - I ll have to check some reviews on that one - thats a good price! Since I only have the 1200 GPH Sand Filter/Pump that one may work better also? Thanks!

In very happy with mine, it keeps the bottom spotless. But I think the minimum flow listed is 1500 GPH, and I suspect even that may be borderline.

But for that price, you can afford to get a bigger pump too!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have upgraded my hoses to the 1.5 inch with the inlet and return pieces from Amazon. I cannot disconnect the pieces from the inside of the pool, when I vacuum, I disconnect the hose from the inlet and use a white reducer item I got from Ace Hardware to connect the vacuum hose. I assume with this Intex 'wally', it would be the same? I'm getting sand filter this year as well, a 2100 gph for my 12x20 metal frame.

The Intex cleaner hooks up to the return eyeball, not the suction side inlet. That's why I refer to it as a "cleaner" rather than a "vacuum". The water shoots out of the holes at either end and it reverses directions several times per minute. It does have a small flapper door on the bottom through which it does suck up some debris into a screen that you pop off to clean, but the biggest benefit to me is that it stirs up the fine silt that falls to the bottom of my pool so that it gets picked up through the regular strainer and filter.

Anyway, to hook it up, you'll need to be able to connect it to your return side or fashion something like I did with PVC so that you can run it and/or the normal return eyeball:

WP_20160417_18_12_34_Pro_zpscsevv5sq.jpg

The hose branching off to the left and over the side is connected to Wally.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.