Noisy Pentair Whisperflo. Even after I changed the bearings.

Jan 16, 2013
Taxachusetts
Near the end of last year pool season (3rd season of pool) my Pentair Whisperflo started to get noisy.

I researched and it seemed like the resolution would be to replace the bearings.

Welp, I just replaced the bearings today and the noise remains.

I took a video hoping someone else may have resolved a pump sounding like this.

Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks!

Here's the video/audio after the bearings and seals were replaced today. Pentair Whisperflo still noisy after bearings replaced. - YouTube

I am not a pump guy, but that sounds more like a secondary vibration that is being transmitted from the frame.

I would try a rubber 1/8" Mat under the pump so it is not metal to concrete. Secondly you could bolt the pump down onto the rubber mat and that should eliminate the noise if it is in fact a frame vibration.

I tried isolating the pump on a rubber mat, noise remained. Bummer.

Pathetic life span on this particular pump.
It's not even out in the elements and I took good care of it.

I HATE buying things I already bought. ;-)
Not even 3 short seasons. Lame.

Sounds like it needs a rubber mat but you tried that already.

Did you inspect the impeller for any damage?

Did you try spinning it with your hand and hear anything or feel any looseness?

You shouldn't be hearing that if the bearings are new.

The capacitor just starts the motor, shouldn't be contributing to the noise, UNLESS ITS LOOSE, but he could TEST the capacitor
and if it's out of spec should replace anyway.

I forgot to ask but all the bolts from the wet end to the motor are properly tightened yes?

Just trying to rule everything out.

Might be a good idea to take the motor off and confirm everything is assembled correctly too.

That sounds like an imbalance in the motor and if that motor has a centrifugal switch, that is where I would look first. The switch has a weight (governor) that moves up and down on the shaft depending on the motor RPM. If the springs are worn or broken, the weight can oscillate back and forth causing noise.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Talked with a couple of support folks at Pentair. Wow, do they hate their jobs. One Rep said it sounds completely normal.
The other Rep said 2-3 years lifespan is not completely out of the ordinary. Then reminded me the warranty is 1 year. Hahah.
I didn't want a free replacement. Just wanted to get their thoughts.

So, I went to Century direct. Sent a note to Tech Support from their website with a link to the video.
Within an hour a really smart sounding guy responded.

He said there could be an issue with the end frame bell housing with wear. Which could allow room for movement/vibration.
So, I went out and took apart the back of the pump and the housing that the bearing goes into in the end frame (bell housing cap) definitely is worn and not right.

Now I just need to find out how much the part number he provided is. He said I could get it from Grainger or any electric motor repair shop.
I think my Google searches are the first time I got skunked in finding where to source something.

Anyhow, I'll chime back in if/when I find the replacement bellhousing and report if it fixed the noise.

Here is the End Frame Century part# 2017716-003
Will probably replace the wavy washer (bearing preload spring) while I'm at it. That is part # PSWW1543-020 (COMPRESSED LOAD IN POUNDS: 25-37---for bearing 203)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.