Repair or replace 1.5 Hayward Super Pump

John Rock

Apr 10, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Hi,

It's starting to look like spring in Montreal and my inground pool was totally redone just before winter. I remembered that my old, already fixed once, pump was getting loud. With good intentions, I took it apart to see what was going on and wasted a couple of hours trying to remove a badly rusted bolt near the back of the shaft and lost patience. It' probably the front bearing that is the problem, but everyting is so rusted that I think it might just call it quits.

Should just buy a new pump or just replace the non-wet part? (motor and all)

The pool runs 6 months a year and electricity isn't too expensive in QC so I'm not sure I need a variable speed pump. I'll also be trying a DIY passive liquid clorine and MA dispenser, so perhaps a single speed is better anyways? I also bought a motor for my new Polaris cleaner...

Suggestions appreaciated, thanks!

I would just replace the motor (with a new shaft seal).

Shop and see how much more the 2-speed version would be, might be worth it. Although, with the DIY chemical system, you would have to tune it to one or the other speed, which might be a hassle. you could tune it to high speed and then if you ran on low it would not draw very much.

After shopping around, I saw new motors for around 300$ (CAD) or refurb for 110$. Given the durability of these Super Pumps, refurb looks like the better deal, and I'll have a few spare parts from my current one. However, I think I'll end up buying a complete refurb pump since I'm unable to remove the rusted bolt from my current mounting plate and the part is listed at 55$! So I figure buying a full refurb for 230$ gives me extra spare parts which should allow me to keep pumping for an another 10 years :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.