Starting again

Apr 15, 2016
Poplarville, MS
So when I came to the forum and tested the water it was WAY off.

So I drained about 70% of the water and it is filled back up thanks to some monsoon like storms and my well.

So I am back testing the water and have some issues.

FC=0

CYA=50
PH= SUPER LOW like a yellow. So I am guessing 6.6
TA=?
So I am doing the "High TA is anticipated" version of the test. adding 10ml water and 1 drop of r-0007 and 3 drops of r-0008. The instructions say Sample should turn green, well it doesn't. It turns red immediately. Anyone have any ideas?
(so adding drops of r-0009 to turn it from green to red seems redundant, since it is already red

I am really stopping her because I take it the PH and TA need to be addressed before I go on with any other actions.

I am pretty stocked up on Borax, baking soda, bleach, Stabilizer, Muratic acid.

And I am using the Poolcalculator site as well.

Hardest time I have ever had getting the pool going!

Sounds like your pH and TA are incredibly low. I would start increasing the pH with the borax right away, shooting for the mid-7s. At the same time, consider adding some baking soda for an initial (low) target of 40 just so we don't go too high. Let that mix for about 15 min then check again. Adjust more as needed until you get the pH in the mid-7s and TA about 50-60.

You also need bleach for sanitation and to prevent algae. At your CYA, you want your FC in the 5-7 range, never below 4. Start there and let us know things transprire over the next hour or so after a few 15 min tests and adjustments.

- - - Updated - - -

FYI ... from a previous post./expert:
If the TA test turns immediately red, then that means that the pH is 4.5 or below. Not good. Immediate addition of pH Up / Soda Ash / Arm & Hammer Washing Soda / Sodium Carbonate is required.

- - - Updated - - -

PH can be raised in three ways: borax, soda ash, and aeration. Borax is usually the best choice. Borax raises the PH and also raises the TA level just a little.

Your TA is zero, or even negative and needs addressed first. Calculate how much baking soda you need to get it to the 50-80 range and add that. Let it mix for an hour or two and retest your pH and TA. You will likely get readable results and can then fine tune your pH from there. Do this ASAP as your water is extremely acidic right now.

EDIT: Looking back I told you to do this two weeks ago, did you?

Your TA is zero, or even negative and needs addressed first. Calculate how much baking soda you need to get it to the 50-80 range and add that. Let it mix for an hour or two and retest your pH and TA. You will likely get readable results and can then fine tune your pH from there. Do this ASAP as your water is extremely acidic right now.

EDIT: Looking back I told you to do this two weeks ago, did you?

Nope I drained the pool and only just started back working on it this weekend.

How would I calculate how much baking soda to add if I don't even have a measurable reading on the test? 14,700 gallon pool. Do I assume it is starting at 4.5 or below as Texas Splash recommended?

Using the Poolmath Calculator, 104 ounces by weight of baking soda should increase your TA by 30 ppm. So you could consider doing it in stages like that until you start to see some indication of a normal test and color indications. Then you could get really specific and accurate. Thoughts?

I will give that a shot and report back! Thanks

PS, does anyone know how to turn on E-mail notifications for posts that are responded to. I looked and cannot seem to find it, thus it takes me looking on here to see a response.

Thanks to everyone, lots of helpful folks on here!

Using the Poolmath Calculator, 104 ounces by weight of baking soda should increase your TA by 30 ppm. So you could consider doing it in stages like that until you start to see some indication of a normal test and color indications. Then you could get really specific and accurate. Thoughts?

Yal are life savers!

So for whatever reason, my Free Chlorine is still testing 0 (Not turning pink at all when I put the r-08070 2 dippers in)

*are the dippers smooth to the top or possibly overfilled? Just want to make sure I am not messing that test up

So FC=0
PH is not 7.4 (way better)
TA=90 (good)

but the other thing that is confusing me is that my CYA is stil testing 75. And that shows that I should replace 47% of the water. Remember, I just drained 70% and went back with that flood of rain and filling the rest from my well.

*is cya "Stabalizer?

Look forward to any suggestions.

OH, and I do have algae so I am about to go home an Shock the mess out of it to get up to FC 21.

FYI - One gallon of regular 8.25% bleach will increase your FC by 5.5 ppm. Yes, CYA = stabilizer. If your CYA is 75, round it up to 80 and increase FC to SLAM level of 31. That's a little over 5 gallons of bleach. So I would get that going right away.

3 days after the SLAM the pool is looking blue, but still a little cloudy. I can say it has improved hour by hour! Due to my work schedule I literally only see it first thing in the morning. (the difference between yesterday at 7 am and today is remarkable)

I took sample of the water and will test it today and get back on track with the "Regular" Pool math calculator.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FYI you should test pool water pretty soon after taking a sample. Also noticed your earlier question, the 871 powder is a heaping scoop.

Are you able to test and adjust at least 3 times per day?

It's going to take a lot longer with only 1 visit a day. If that's all you can do then it is what it is; just be aware of the increased time and cost.

Yes, the powder is a heaping scoop. Too much isn't bad (to a point) Too little is.

What is your FC loss between tests?

About the powder - just put in enough that the water turns pink. You don't have to use 2 dippers as long as it turns a good solid pink, not light pink. This is affected by your FC level of course - a low FC level will never turn dark pink, so use your judgement. Once you have the water balanced and establish a routine, you'll know that there is chlorine in the water and you can just use one scoop. If in doubt it is ok to put more powder.

It's going to take a lot longer with only 1 visit a day. If that's all you can do then it is what it is; just be aware of the increased time and cost.

Yes, the powder is a heaping scoop. Too much isn't bad (to a point) Too little is.

What is your FC loss between tests?
10 AM test (After the Slam 2 days ago)

FC=8.4
PH=7
TA=90

I will start tracking my FC loss between tests. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.