Added Phosphate Remover to SWG

Feb 19, 2015
Lake forest/ CA
Tested my pool and it was at 5 and ph was at 7.8 and cya was at 35. Still had an algae problem so I added some phosphate remover. Ran it for 24 hours and then checked and the chlorine jumped to 13. Does phosphate remover affect a SWG? Any other ideas? I turned off my SWG to get it back down to normal but can't figure out why it spiked. Thanks for any help.

Chlorine only increases in your pool if you add chlorine (in some form or another). I can't explain your jump othe4r than testing error or you added some chlorine and didn't realize it.
Still had an algae problem so I added some phosphate remover.
Phosphate remover will not remove one iota of algae. nada...none.

Chlorine is what kills algae and that's what you need in your pool now to kill it and then keep chlorine in your pool to prevent algae's return.

You need to SLAM your pool

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" then read "SLAM" in Pool School

Did you test again an hour latter? When I get results that don't make sense to me I either test again after an hour or call in my 11 year old daughter to run the test again.

And as Dave said phosphate remover won't kill algae.

Tested my pool and it was at 5 and ph was at 7.8 and cya was at 35. Still had an algae problem so I added some phosphate remover. Ran it for 24 hours and then checked and the chlorine jumped to 13. Does phosphate remover affect a SWG? Any other ideas? I turned off my SWG to get it back down to normal but can't figure out why it spiked. Thanks for any help.

How long do you 'normally' run it for if its 6-8 hours and you have run it for 24 there is your answer...

Quigman, what brand of phosphate remover did you use? Usually, its comprised of lanthanum chloride, and in some cases a clarifier. Maybe the extra chloride improved function, or the clarifier had some other kind of impact on your cell. Just wild guesses here ;) Unfortunately there does not seem to be a lot of data points on the dark art of phosphate removal.

Either way, bumping up the cya per the recommendations for swg in pool school should help you avoid getting algae in the first place.

(After your slam, that is.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.