If you could do it perfectly... new build 33' round

Apr 21, 2016
Illinois
Hello, everyone. I love this forum, have been reading for months. Thank you all for so much information.

I am going to purchase a 33'x54" round AGP, probably a Sharkline Matrix or AquaLeader saltwater 8000. Almost 29,000 gallon. I will most likely go with salt water system. From what I have learned, oversizing filter is the thing to do, and match pump to filter. For that volume, the only filter/pumps I can find to handle the volume are for inground pools. Also, considering the size of pool/lines/returns it looks like I need to have 2 skimmers and 2 returns.
To oversize the filter, it looks like the Hayward 270T2 would fit, turn over for 8 hours is 35,500 design flow rate 74 GPM.
Hayward superpump at 40 foot head- SP2610X15 pumps 65 GPM
I am not entirely sure that I will be utilizing the pump and filter's potential output considering the 1.5" lines that are being used. No sense in over sizing if I am just wasting energy because of the size of line and such.

Would you agree that the pool does need 2 skimmers and 2 returns?
Does that filter/pump combo look good? Any other suggestions?
It is entirely possible that I am way off base.
Any suggestions and comments are appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Re: If you could do it perfectly... new build 33" round

:wave: Welcome to TFP!

Generally filters should be sized based on the pool volume and season length. I will offer a recommendation in a few minutes.

Pumps should be sized as small as possible while providing adequate flow, you have no water features, spa, or solar, so have no high flow needs. You could use a 1HP 2 speed pump.

You going to have a floor drain? If not, then 2 skimmers might be a good idea. And 2 returns is likely fine.

Forget about flow rates and turnovers, they do not matter.

That is a big pool, but your season is short.
So for a filter, I would suggest either a cartridge over 350 sqft or a sand filter over 27" ... you could go a little smaller, but will have to clean more often.

The Power-flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed is generally a good choice for AG pool with no high flow needs.

Thanks for the advice. I am thinking a Hayward S270T (27") or S310T2 (30.5"). The pump will probably be above water level so I am going with an inground pump....either a Pentair or Hayward 1HP. Any suggestions for the inground pump?

Thanks again!

About to pull the trigger!

If everything looks right, I am going to order tomorrow. Any corrections or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I need to get the inground pump because it will most likely be placed above water level. Big thanks to Jason for putting me on the right path.
Below is the potential order:

33' round Sharkline Matrix $2,319
Pentair SuperFlo VS $649
Hayward Aqua Rite SWG 40,000 gallon $914
Hayward S310T2 30 inch 500lb sand $657
1 skimmer
2 returns
25 gauge pacific diamond pattern liner $678
Pool cove $83

Am I forgetting anything? Thanks to everyone for all the info on this site. It is great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.