baqa new conversion

kbpool

May 7, 2009
Hampton, GA
Hi, I've started my conversion from baqua to cholrine and just ordered my TF100 testing kit, I have been at it since monday night after wasting money on shock. Started adding bleach 8-10 gallons aday and my OTO is reading a RED color so I know im above 10ppm. I still have mint green color water and feel as if im getting no where fast. Im brushing and backwashing my filter 1-2 times daily due to the lack of circulation in the pool. Do I need to get a new filter now and replace again after conversion?

any suggestions???
kbpool

Welcome to TFP!

You should go ahead and order a new filter cartridge, if you don't already have one, but don't install it till later. For now it is best to limp along on your current cartridge as best you can. You might want to try an overnight soak in automatic dish washer detergent (1 cup of detergent for ever 5 gallons of water), rinse the cartridge off before replacing it in the filter.

Baquacil conversions can seem endless sometimes. Keep at it and the water will clear up eventually.

Every conversion is different. We just had one take two days, and I have seen them take three or four weeks.

In this situation, you want good circulation for a couple of hours after adding chemicals, but if you add chlorine early enough and then stop adding for the evening to let it circulate for several hours, and then turn off the pump, you could turn off the pump overnight and be fine.

:) well, I have to say I was able to see the bottom of the pool this am. Water still with mint green color and increased cloudiness with brushing before adding chlorine. Im pleased to finally see some results. It helps to have some reassurance with this process. I will sick it out with the filter at this point, I ve been washing the filter out daily sometimes twice aday due to the amount of goo. My circulation improves with that so far. My OTO reading this am was dark red in color so I know my FC are high. I never knew this baqua can create such havoc :evil: But I will stick with it. Thanks for all of the information on this web site. any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
kb pool
AG, 13500
vinyl with cartridge filter

Since your water is starting to clear up and you don't have a FAS-DPD chlorine test, you need to reduce the amount of chlorine you are adding each day. You don't want the FC level getting too high. When the water starts to clear up the rate of chlorine consumption slows down. I would cut back to 3 or 4 gallons of 6% bleach once a day in the evening.

For the final stage, it would be a huge help to have a FAS-DPD chlorine test. The OTO test can not distinguish FC from CC. The final stage is all about maintaing a specific FC level until the CC level goes to zero. I recommend a kit from TF Test Kits, see the link in my signature. The Taylor K-2006 is also good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When you say "cl level is at 35" what exactly do you mean? What kind of chlorine test are you using?

You need separate test results for FC and CC in order to determine when you are done with a conversion.

Also, you don't want to allow the FC level get up to 35 if you can possibly avoid it. An FC of 35 with CYA at 0 is high enough to corrode most metal exposed to the water.

If FC falls below 15 you should raise it back up to 15.

Sometime this evening, at least 30 minutes after your final chlorine addition, measure your FC level. Then, tomorrow morning as early as practical, measure the FC level again. If the FC remains the same, or only falls by 1, then you can move on to the next stage.

Until the overnight loss is 1 or less, just keep adding chlorine as needed to keep FC at 15. At this point you may only want to do this in the evenings, since it doesn't sound like FC is falling very quickly any more.

kbpool, when doing the FC & CC chlorine tests, how much pool water are you putting in the test bottle?

Reading thru the posts, it just seems the FC #'s are 'off' and thought you might want to re-check your testing instructions.

Good luck with your conversion :-D

Im filling the chlorine only bottle to 10ml as instructed, adding powder and counting the drops until it turns from pink to clear and multiply x.5. My Fc have not fallen overnight so Im going to follow your next step and re read all the conversions instructions again. My pool is very clear with small amount of sediment on the bottom which is easily brushed up. should I add some stabilizer to the pool today? Ive read your idea about putting some in a skimmer sock and hanging it near the return. And if I should how much should I add?

Alright, when the FC level holds overnight you can replace the filter media and then start adding CYA up to between 30 and 50. After that you continue to maintain the FC level at 15 until the CC level remains at 0.5 or lower for 36 hours. Then you are done!

:lol: I have completed my conversion and my pool is crystal clear. I think that my FC levels were not as high as I initially reported. :hammer: I was using too much of the powder, wrong end of the scoop, whoops. But my levels are holding and now adding the CYA. Thanks so much for all the information. Now do you know how I can get rid of those little swimming bugs in my pool. I think there is 1 or 2 of those little suckers and they swim so fast on top of the water and dart below the water that you can not catch them with a hand held skimmer tool. Any Ideas? Any way thanks so much. I wish I would have thought to take initial pics but so everyone can get an Idea of before and after. Oh well.
Thanks again :wave:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.