Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: baqa new conversion

1. Back To Top    #1

baqa new conversion

Hi, I've started my conversion from baqua to cholrine and just ordered my TF100 testing kit, I have been at it since monday night after wasting money on shock. Started adding bleach 8-10 gallons aday and my OTO is reading a RED color so I know im above 10ppm. I still have mint green color water and feel as if im getting no where fast. Im brushing and backwashing my filter 1-2 times daily due to the lack of circulation in the pool. Do I need to get a new filter now and replace again after conversion?

any suggestions???
    kbpool
    kbpool
    AG,vinyl
    cartridge filter
    Waterways, 1.5 HP pump 2 speed

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: baqa new conversion pool

I forgot to tell you, I have above ground pool, 13593 gallons, cartridge filter. unsure of FC readings over 10ppm, PH is 7.8, all other readings are within normal limits.
    kbpool
    AG,vinyl
    cartridge filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: baqa new conversion

Welcome to TFP!

You should go ahead and order a new filter cartridge, if you don't already have one, but don't install it till later. For now it is best to limp along on your current cartridge as best you can. You might want to try an overnight soak in automatic dish washer detergent (1 cup of detergent for ever 5 gallons of water), rinse the cartridge off before replacing it in the filter.

Baquacil conversions can seem endless sometimes. Keep at it and the water will clear up eventually.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

is it okay to leave the pool uncirculated overnight with that much chlorine?? I guess im just a little freaked out by pouring 8-10 gallons of chorline in my pool. How long does a conversion usually take?
    kbpool
    AG,vinyl
    cartridge filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Every conversion is different. We just had one take two days, and I have seen them take three or four weeks.

In this situation, you want good circulation for a couple of hours after adding chemicals, but if you add chlorine early enough and then stop adding for the evening to let it circulate for several hours, and then turn off the pump, you could turn off the pump overnight and be fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

well, I have to say I was able to see the bottom of the pool this am. Water still with mint green color and increased cloudiness with brushing before adding chlorine. Im pleased to finally see some results. It helps to have some reassurance with this process. I will sick it out with the filter at this point, I ve been washing the filter out daily sometimes twice aday due to the amount of goo. My circulation improves with that so far. My OTO reading this am was dark red in color so I know my FC are high. I never knew this baqua can create such havoc But I will stick with it. Thanks for all of the information on this web site. any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    kb pool
    AG, 13500
    vinyl with cartridge filter
    kbpool
    AG,vinyl
    cartridge filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Time for some POP.

Pool Owner Patience....

Keep it up!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

You can update your profile to include your pool specs in your signature.

Go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature. That way you don't have to keep repeating the info
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

9. Back To Top    #9

Since your water is starting to clear up and you don't have a FAS-DPD chlorine test, you need to reduce the amount of chlorine you are adding each day. You don't want the FC level getting too high. When the water starts to clear up the rate of chlorine consumption slows down. I would cut back to 3 or 4 gallons of 6% bleach once a day in the evening.

For the final stage, it would be a huge help to have a FAS-DPD chlorine test. The OTO test can not distinguish FC from CC. The final stage is all about maintaing a specific FC level until the CC level goes to zero. I recommend a kit from TF Test Kits, see the link in my signature. The Taylor K-2006 is also good.

10. Back To Top    #10

I just received my Tf 100 kit and my FC are high around 25 if I am correct. Today is sunny so I'll retest later this pm. Is there anything I need to do since my fc are so high?
    Kb pool
    AG,13500,
    Vinyl, Cartridge filter
    kbpool
    AG,vinyl
    cartridge filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Nope, keep hosing off the filter, circulating, brushing, retest, add more chlorine if necessary.

12. Back To Top    #12

:P okay, my water is almost clear and cl level is at 35, I have not added cl since yesterday am due to high FC.still have a little cloudiness. when should I start using my new filter cartridge?
    kbpool
    AG,vinyl
    cartridge filter

13. Back To Top    #13

When you say "cl level is at 35" what exactly do you mean? What kind of chlorine test are you using?

You need separate test results for FC and CC in order to determine when you are done with a conversion.

Also, you don't want to allow the FC level get up to 35 if you can possibly avoid it. An FC of 35 with CYA at 0 is high enough to corrode most metal exposed to the water.

14. Back To Top    #14

Im using Tf 100, and FC is 30 and cc 4, with no CYA. what should I do at this point.??
    kbpool
    AG,vinyl
    cartridge filter

15. Back To Top    #15

my TA is 160 and PH 7.2.
    kbpool
    AG,vinyl
    cartridge filter

16. Back To Top    #16

If FC falls below 15 you should raise it back up to 15.

Sometime this evening, at least 30 minutes after your final chlorine addition, measure your FC level. Then, tomorrow morning as early as practical, measure the FC level again. If the FC remains the same, or only falls by 1, then you can move on to the next stage.

Until the overnight loss is 1 or less, just keep adding chlorine as needed to keep FC at 15. At this point you may only want to do this in the evenings, since it doesn't sound like FC is falling very quickly any more.

17. Back To Top    #17

kbpool, when doing the FC & CC chlorine tests, how much pool water are you putting in the test bottle?

Reading thru the posts, it just seems the FC #'s are 'off' and thought you might want to re-check your testing instructions.

Good luck with your conversion
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

18. Back To Top    #18

Im filling the chlorine only bottle to 10ml as instructed, adding powder and counting the drops until it turns from pink to clear and multiply x.5. My Fc have not fallen overnight so Im going to follow your next step and re read all the conversions instructions again. My pool is very clear with small amount of sediment on the bottom which is easily brushed up. should I add some stabilizer to the pool today? Ive read your idea about putting some in a skimmer sock and hanging it near the return. And if I should how much should I add?
    kbpool
    AG,vinyl
    cartridge filter

19. Back To Top    #19

Alright, when the FC level holds overnight you can replace the filter media and then start adding CYA up to between 30 and 50. After that you continue to maintain the FC level at 15 until the CC level remains at 0.5 or lower for 36 hours. Then you are done!

20. Back To Top    #20

I have completed my conversion and my pool is crystal clear. I think that my FC levels were not as high as I initially reported. I was using too much of the powder, wrong end of the scoop, whoops. But my levels are holding and now adding the CYA. Thanks so much for all the information. Now do you know how I can get rid of those little swimming bugs in my pool. I think there is 1 or 2 of those little suckers and they swim so fast on top of the water and dart below the water that you can not catch them with a hand held skimmer tool. Any Ideas? Any way thanks so much. I wish I would have thought to take initial pics but so everyone can get an Idea of before and after. Oh well.
    Thanks again
    kbpool
    AG,vinyl
    cartridge filter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast