Tri-Chlor Pucks - maybe?

MJCP

Sep 14, 2007
Michigan
I read in a different post, several recommendations to use tri-chlor pucks, for vacations. I have done great just using bleach since finding this forum, but my situation is unusual, and wondered -

My wife and I live 2 hours from where we work. We stay in a place there during the week and come home on weekends. Our business isn't a 9-5 m-f thing so often we stay home for 4-5 days then stay at work for 8-12 days. We seldom know ahead of time if a work week will be 4 days or 14 - we just kinda play it by ear.

This wreaks havoc with my pool maintinance, often times I spend 2-3 days correcting a problem caused by being gone too long and not shocking often enough.

Would tri-chlor pucks be recommended in this situation?

You can use trichlor periodically but you need to be mindful of the effect it has on your CYA and be willing and able to account for this CYA increase over time. Keep in mind that the only way for you to lower CYA when it gets high is by draining water. Additionally, trichlor can cause you pH to run low, requiring correction.

It sounds like you might benefit by getting a SWCG. Have you looked into that?

--edited for spelling--

Would tri-chlor pucks be recommended in this situation?
Yes, but not wholeheartedly.

That's a pretty long time to leave any pool unattended. Ideally, it would be better if you could have a human make sure the pump is running, skimmers cleaned, psi normal, etc and while there, plunk in a jug of Clorox.

If that's not doable, trichlor pucks will certainly add chlorine while you are away but they won't do any of the other things for you.

Importantly, they will continue to deposit CYA in your pool until it reaches an unmanageable level. It's the most common issue we address on the forum.

Yes I am still using bromine, The pool came that way and my wife read about "benefits" of bromine. I found this forum afterward and have continued to use bleach as my 'rejuvinator" for the Bromine

The pool has a painted, cement finish (Just found on opening that next year will be Pool Painting for sure) lots of flaking and now lots of bare specks .

Last year my daughter lived at home and did the Xtra Human tasks, this year I was hoping to go it alone. I do have an Internet camera to allow keeping an eye on it if neccesary. But I think I will have to come home more often than usual so as not to create more problems for myself. The higher CYA is only worth it if I do it occasionally, but I will probably not use it often.

I am getting ready for a 3-week business trip that will take me through Japan and China and my wife will be going home to visit family. I made myself a vacation/away pumping system and only had $64 in it. It is basically a peristaltic pump and a timer. I set the timer to come on for 2 minutes a day and the pump is 16 oz/min. I have been running it for close to 1-month now and it works great. After a 50% drain of my pool to lower the CYA in the pool from the previous owners use of tabs I will avoid at all costs adding Trichlor.

As mentioned a SWCG would be a good choice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.