Just getting started with new pool...

Hi! Congrats on the pool!

To properly take care of your pool and get accurate advice, you need a TF100 or K2006 test kit.
TF100: TFTestkits.net
K2006: Amazon.com : TAYLOR TECHNOLOGIES INC K-2006 TEST KIT COMP CHLORINE FAS-DPD : Swimming Pool Liquid Test Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

They are about the same price, but the TF100 has more of the reagents you will use most often.

Have you or the pool builder added anything to the pool?

I saw in your other thread you have test strips. In the few days until you get your test kit, make sure the chlorine test is showing something so we know your SWG is making Chlorine.

Thanks for the reply.

The test kit has been ordered, so I'm waiting on that.
In the meantime, I did my first test strip test, with not such great results. Both the total chlorine and free chlorine were low, hardness also was low. The other readings were fine.

So, I increased the % on the autopilot from 30-45% in hopes of correcting the numbers. I think that's what the pool company had instructed with low chlorine.

Suggestions? Advice?
Thank you!!
JB

It's like playing darts while blindfolded. Until you get that kit in your hands, we're guessing. Also, I can't tell if this thread was moved from somewhere else the way post #1 begins, so I'm not sure if I'm missing some info. But have you added any stabilizer/conditioner to your pool? That will help us determine how much FC you should have for right now.

Thanks for the quick reply!
No haven't added anything yet, other than what the pool company might have added on Tuesday when they opened it.
Should I add conditioner? If so, how much? And if so, directly to pool or into skimmer? With filter running?
Sorry for the very basic questions, but I'm very new to this. Just trying to get the hang of everything.

Last edited:
No silly questions! :) I will be asking more as well since I think you may have had some info on a previous post but I don't see it. So this is a new in-ground pool with vinyl liner all around correct? No exposed plaster that required curing?

Also, do you happen to know what the pool company may have added last week?

Great! The if they didn't add any stabilizer, you definitely need some. But I still want to play it safe. I know you have a SWG, and we like the CYA to be adjusted to at least 70 so your SWG doesn't have to work as hard. But just in case .... IF your installer happened to add granular stabilizer, I don't want you to go too high. So ..... to be safe until your kit gets here, let's do this .... 60 ounces of granular stabilizer will give you 30 ppm of CYA. I would suggest you go that route (30 CYA) and then we can increase FC based on that amount for now. Once you get your test kit, you will verify the CYA and we can go from there. Sounds good?

So, to increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator (60 ounces) into a white sock and suspend it near a return jet or in the skimmer. Best not to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level, although the test readings may take anywhere from 24 hours to a few days to fully register. Confirm CYA in about one week before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.
Your SWG is trying to produce FC, but we don't know exactly how much yet. So if you also have some liquid bleach handy (regular/plain), you can add about a 1/2 gallon to the water as well. That will add 3 ppm of FC to your pool. To see how I got those numbers, experiment with the poolmath calculator yourself. You will want to learn how to use it.

pH is the other thing we need to know. But again, strips are not good. You could grab a $6 HTH pH tester at Wal-Mart to hold you over. You want pH around 7.6

If you have any questions about what I recommended, please let me know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.