Cleaning Black Algae!

Bob Huston

Bronze Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Davenport/Florida
After dismissing my pool service! (YAY) I need to get things right! I have some Black algae in some of my tile grout lines and around the top of the tile! Unlike a freeform pool, mine has thirteen ninety degree corners that need to be cleaned! I thought that talking to the experts prior to going to the pool supply store would be my best course of action! Any advice on which kind of a brush and cleaning solution would be appreciated! The good news is other than that, my pool sparkles!

Thank You in advance,
Bob Huston-Davenport,Fla.

How wide are the grout lines? Mine were 1/8 and the best thing for me to use was undiluted clorox and a toothbrush.....done from within the pool with the toothbrush in one hand and a cold one in the other.

If your grout lines are wider, a toothbrush might not be the best applicator.

Thank you for responding! I read the article, and thank goodness the problem is above the water level on the grout lines! I'll give the BBT treatment a try! (beer, bleach, and a toothbrush!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for responding! Well, no need to go to the store! Got the beer, got the bleach and the toothbrush! My grout lines are the same width as yours, so I'm off to the pool! Luckily my issue is above the water level and the plaster is unaffected! Your advice is much appreciated as always!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.