SWG does not seem to be generating- algae issue as well.

Feb 25, 2010
Sacramento, CA
We live in Northern CA and just opened up our pool after winter. We had to drain it many times (probably half the water) over the winter due to excessive rain. Our salt level read around 1500 so I added three bags of salt very slowly over the past 7-10 days. As of today it is now reading 2900. However during this process I noticed what looked like mustard algae on the steps of the pool. We brushed the pool completely a couple times and shocked it.
Today I started the SWG and after running for around 8 hours, it still says we have zero FC. Here are the other numbers:

PH: 6.8
TA: 40
CYA: 40

I know my PH and TA are low. Is the low FC related to this? Or does this seem to be an issue with the SWG...or both?

Funny though, the water has never looked better.

Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks.

Which test kit are you using to get these numbers?

Have you read Pool School and about how to care for your water?

If ever you're not getting FC from your SWG, or its turned off, use liquid chlorine (household bleach is fine as long as its unscented, not the splashless type or the outdoor stuff) and bring your FC up quickly so you avoid algae taking hold.

We need accurate test results: FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, CYA

Well you are "forgiven" since you have ordered a good test kit. For now see if you can find the little hth 6 way test kit some Walmarts sell. It will help you get your PH in line for your SLAM. Add 1/2 gal of plain, unscented, no extras bleach until you test kit there and we can get good numbers.

Can you please add your location? it really does help us help you as each area has different "problems" with it.

:hug: we got ya and your pool will look better than it has ever looked before!

Kim:cat:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.