Aqua Rite keeps generating - No flow doens't light when pump stops

Apr 29, 2016
Brea, CA
My pool has been running well for 10 years or so. No issues with the SWG, except having to replace the cell about 4 years ago (as expected). I just had my old Pentair pump replaced by a IntelliFlow VST 2 (which I'm happy with). Fairly sure its not related, but since then the no-flow light does not come on when the pump stops, and the cell keeps generating. This leads to low salt and inspect cell lights on the control panel and it won't automatically start generating when the pump starts the next day. If I turn the Aqua Rite on and off it starts just fine.

I'm guessing the flow switch has failed, but I wanted to check before I ordered one. I find lots of posts from people who have "no flow" when there is flow, but nothing much about my case where I can't get a "no flow" even though there is no flow.

Thanks for looking.

Rest of the equipment is Pentair - MiniMax heater and DE filter.

Welcome to TFP :)

I would order a new switch and replace it, your are correct, most people have the opposite problem :) I would also manually turn off your SWG every day until the replacement arrives, or just turn it off and use bleach/ liquid chlorine.

The intelliflo is capable of very high flow rates. I suspect that the metal flapper got bent in from excessive flow. You might be able to bend it back or you might need a new flow switch.

In any case, make sure that the unit is left off until the problem is fixed. The cell produces chlorine gas and hydrogen gas. The mixture of gasses can explode and blow up your cell.

Thanks for the responses. I am turning the SWG on-off daily. I didn't know it could explode - I just didn't like the idea of it running and filling the cell with any gas and trying to run while dry. robdac - I will try that. A great idea, feel a bit silly for not thinking about it. James W - I'll try bending it. At 3110 rpm on prime it really does make the water move at a crazy rate through the plumbing.

You should set a lower priming speed and set a safe maximum speed. At high rpm, you're likely to overstress other components as well. The system should be left off until the flow sensor is fixed. It's not safe.

rbdac - It worked. I got no flow immediately. I'll try bending the leaf, and order a new one if that doesn't work.
JamesW - Yesterday I set the max speed to 2750 instead of 3110. Thanks for the idea.
Thanks guys, really appreciate it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.