Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever know of anyone who doesn't like a SWCG pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ever know of anyone who doesn't like a SWCG pool?

I've been contemplating and researching getting a SWCG for my pool this fall/winter. But the thought just struck me, I have never ever experienced being in a pool that has one.

I see so many people rave about them and how wonderful the water feels. I just cannot imagine it. Has anyone ever said they don't like the feel of it?

What is the "feel" of the water? I'm just having a hard time imagining how much different it could feel from my pool water.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Everyone who has been in the pool has commented on the water, all positive. My kids (4) don't really like swimming at there friends house's. These pools aren't balanced very well, pool stored.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

3. Back To Top    #3
    The 'feel' of the water is sort of like using soft water vs. hard water... Your skin and hair do not get so dry, it is easier on the eyes, that sort of thing.

I have heard rumor of a couple folks complaining about patio furniture and 'anything metal' rusting 'because of ' their salt water pools, but this was in southeast Louisiana, where everything rusts in the humidity naturally anyhow! A simple rinsing of metal parts would eliminate any corrosion.

And in case you were wondering about tasting the salt, I find that the water in a salt pool tastes different, but not salty. I think the level is below the threshold where most folks taste salt anyway, but some may be more sensitive, and others may be more 'suggestible'

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Buggs,

I enjoy my SWCG pool every day. My folks have a chlorinated pool, of which they keep the chemicals balanced perfectly. Here are some of the biggest things, in my opinion, I notice between a chlorinated pool and a Salt pool:

After you are done swimming and get dried off (In a chlorine pool), have you ever smelled your skin? It smells like chlorine/ bleach. Your hair is dried out and hard to comb/brush. Furthermore, you skin truly does feel dry.

After drying off in a salt pool, your skin does not smell like chlorine, you hair is not bristly to the touch, and your skin does not have that dry feeling.

As for tasting the salt in a pool.... This may sound gross but it is the easiest way to explain what it tastes like to someone who has not been in a salt pool... Have you ever tasted your tears from crying or tasted the sweat that has run into your mouth? If yes, then you have tasted a saltwater pool. For those getting in for the first time, you will notice the salty taste but trust me, you become accustom very quickly.

That being said, I still think that people should know that although people claim there is less maintenance needed for a SWCG pool, I tend to disagree. I am fearful of any salt build-up surrounding my pool. Salt, regardless how you look at it, is corrosive. I am constantly washing down my deck and pool furniture. Don't know how many chlorinated pool folks are doing that constantly.

The pros I came up with in my research and experience outweighed the cons. The initial expense for a SWCG pool is obviously more than a chlorinated pool but I think that over a period of time, the amount of money you save on chemicals makes up that difference. Since September 2006 (For my pool that stays open year round) I have spent less than $200 on chemicals (that includes, acid, stabilizer, SALT, Jack's Purple, etc.). I hope that gives you a little more insight into a SWCG pool. Good luck with your choices.
    MIKE

21K Inground Custom w/ Spa (Gunite/Plaster), SWCG, Hayward Northstar, Polaris 280, Hayward Color Logics, Jandy PS-8

5. Back To Top    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by divnkd101

After you are done swimming and get dried off (In a chlorine pool), have you ever smelled your skin? It smells like chlorine/ bleach. Your hair is dried out and hard to comb/brush. Furthermore, you skin truly does feel dry.

After drying off in a salt pool, your skin does not smell like chlorine, you hair is not bristly to the touch, and your skin does not have that dry feeling.
    Weird,

I wonder if I'm doing something wrong, but I've never had a problem with smelling like chlorine after swimming in our pool (we use an in-line chlorinator w/ tri-chlor pucks).

We keep our chlorine levels pretty low (1-1.5 ppm FC, only around 20 CYA), since it's only really the two of us that swim in it, and the chlorine level is kept fairly constant due to the in-line chlorinator.

Maybe I'm less sensitive to Chlorine then others, or maybe others using BBB have to ramp it up a bit higher since there is no persistance.

Also, I'm a bit confused on the "not smelling like chlorine", since SWCG often seem to have HIGHER levels of chlorine due to the higher CYA levels from what I've read. Maybe the "power of suggestion" is in effect somewhat the other way as well, but I haven't swam in one.
    Jim

6. Back To Top    #6
    Buggs, have you considered simply salting your pool before you invest in SWG to see if you like the water feel?

The salt is the primary driver for improved water feel. The SWG makes chlorine, which you can add in it's absence. If you don't like the feel, you can do partial drains/refills until the salt is all but gone.

This is what I've did last summer. I'll never not have salt in my water again. It's like diving into a bottle of aquafina

7. Back To Top    #7

I've never been in a SWCG pool that I know of, but I dont have the problem of smelling like chlorine when I get out of mine. My chlorine stays 2.0 to 2.5 most days, and not sure on the CYA... i tested it after i dissolved some CYA in it and it didnt even register. But I know I have some in it now, and waiting for more to dissolve so I can retest.

My hair doesnt feel dry really either... maybe Im doing something wrong.... I dont know but my results read ok and its not nasty water so Im ok with that. My pool gets a daily usage of atleast 4 people, sometimes 5 or 6.

I've thought about getting a SWCG system when I get a bigger pool or a new house and get a pool.
    Andy
    15' X 4' Round AG
    BBB method and loving it!

8. Back To Top    #8
    I read a blog recently from a pool guy who was very anti-salt. He was claiming that after a year or two, nearby metal fences start to rust and it wreaks havoc with stonework. I am trying to find the website now.

Then again he might just be a ticked off chlorine dealer...who knows! :P

9. Back To Top    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Backglass
    I read a blog recently from a pool guy who was very anti-salt. He was claiming that after a year or two, nearby metal fences start to rust and it wreaks havoc with stonework. I am trying to find the website now.

Then again he might just be a ticked off chlorine dealer...who knows! :P
    Is THIS the guy you were talkin about?
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

10. Back To Top    #10
    No intelligent comments to make or facts to present but I love my swg.
    The water feels great and the lack of "problems" makes it even more
    attractive. Other than lowering my Ph every few days I don't have to
    do much to keep everything in balance!
    My Pool:
    12K gal Fiberglass. Pentair DE Filter, Aqua Logic SWG, GoldLine Controls, Kreepy Krauley pool cleaner, MiniMax 250 Heater, Pentair FiberWorks Fiber optic lighting, Pentair 1 1/2HP Pump, a new shiny TF100 test kit, a clear pool and 3 happy kids

11. Back To Top    #11
    Putting salt in the water can damage porous stone work near the pool. Limestone seems particuarly vulnerable. Sometime it is possible to use a sealer on the stone but that doesn't always work. Harder stone seems fine. Some people also report that occasional bits of steel start to rust after adding salt. True stainless steel is fine but there seems to be a lower quality not quite stainless steel that is affected. Areas that get a lot of splash out should be hosed down occasionally, unless you get a fair bit of rain, to avoid white stains (which wash right off) and possible long term concrete/steel damage from salt accumulating.

You can get nearly the same water feel by adding half or one third as much salt, say 1000 ppm, with fewer risks. SWG pools seem to get algae less often and can run with a slightly lower chlorine level. You don't need to add bleach every day, but many people need to add acid every other day or sometimes every day. It is possible to balance the water to avoid needing to add acid constantly but that can get tricky to get right.

I love my SWG. Of course I have an automatic acid feeder, so I hardly need to do anything beyond clean out the skimmer.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12
    Found the guy...he is quite vocal about his dislike for salt pools.

http://thepoolbiz.blogspot.com/

Scroll down to "Comment on the Comments" article and read. Interesting, if what he says is true. He also has many pictures of pumps, pools, etc that are supposedly damaged by Salt further down.

Also watch this TV News report on salt pool problems in Texas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC9ITqu0V9o

As much as I like the feel of a salt pool (which is the overwhelming positive everyone talks about), my pool is surrounded by a LOT of flagstone that I wouldn't want to take a chance on damaging.

I don't know who to believe.

13. Back To Top    #13
    Wow. From the outside looking in he sounds like a pool store guy who sees himself out of a big profit center part of his business in the near future unless he can turn people off of SWG.

His comments on the Intex SWG were interesting. Says even though it's marketed for AG pools, it produces as much chlorine, 23g per hour, as bigger IG units.

How much chlorine would 23g per hour equal of 6% bleach in a larger, say 20,000 gal pool?

14. Back To Top    #14

After having a few reports of stainless steel and coping corrosion on the Pool Forum and then running into the poolbiz blog, I started a thread a while ago trying to sort things out here on The Pool Forum. I think the general assessment is that most users of SWG pools love them and have no problems, but increased salt does increase risk so being prudent and using heartier materials (i.e. not soft limestone) and rinsing surfaces is prudent. There is no question that someone who puts an SWG into an indoor pool and then doesn't use CYA because its indoors with no sunlight is asking for trouble as stainless steel in that situation may corrode within a year (as happened to a couple of users). Beyond that, the issues vary in intensity.

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

15. Back To Top    #15
    Realize that SWGs are not new technology. They have been around since the 60's and are the norm rather than the exception in Australia! They have only become popular in the US in the past several years. If they were as bad as some of the negative press indicates they would not have survived for close to 40 years now in the marketplace, given their high initial costs!

16. Back To Top    #16
    I did some research on the intex SWG, and they claim on their site that (I think) 97% of new pool installations in the USA are SWG.

17. Back To Top    #17
    SWGs are about convenience. Nothing more or less. SWGs eliminate having to buy and add bleach (or another chlorine source) every day or two. SWGs let you go on vacation without worrying about how to chlorinate your pool while you're gone. An SWG might even allow you to skip a few days of testing without worrying (though pH rise may be a problem). That's about it.

All the other positives being attributed here to SWGs have nothing to do with SWGs. The water feel, the anti-tangling effects on hair, the lack of eye sting, etc. are all a result of having salt in the water, not the SWG. If you want those things, put salt in your water; many without SWGs do.

Saltwater pools are chlorine pools. The lack of chlorine smell often attributed to SWGs is the result of proper chlorination. Properly chlorinated pools without SWGs don't smell of chlorine either.

Cheers.

18. Back To Top    #18

Thanks for the clarification on the post above mine... The reason mine feels good and doesnt leave me dry skinned and burnt eyes is because I got my chlorine right Makes me feel smarter. haha

For the "feel" what kind of salt is added?
    Andy
    15' X 4' Round AG
    BBB method and loving it!

19. Back To Top    #19

There are always pros and cons for anything you buy, nothing is perfect, its all about how much hands on
    you are and how much time and effort you are willing to spend. here are my pros and cons.

PRO's
    1) Having an SWG eliminates that yo-yo up and down cycle you have with using liquid bleach, having a constant
    stream of Chlorine means you can usually keep your PPM a little lower than normal.
    2) Being able to go away for extended periods without having to worry about your Chlorine levels. (for those who use pucks, I understand, depending which ones you use, increase other chemicals whether you want it or not, CYA, Calcium)
    3) Less algae outbreaks
    4) For those who BBB, not having to store and buy large amounts of liquid Chlorine.
    5) softer on skin and eyes

Con's
    1) inital price
    2) replacement cost
    3) salt corrosion
    4) salt replacement (although its only at startup and maybe once a season)

And for those who have that chlorine smell when you leave the pool, its due to the Chlorine burning off organics. So
    if you do have that smell, it means the pool needs to be shocked, since chlorine has no smell.

20. Back To Top    #20

Another benefit that has not been mentioned yet, the nature of electrolytically generating chlorine eliminates combined chlorines as it constantly superchlorinates the water as the cell is energized.
    Combined chlorine results in burning red eyes, itchy skin, and smelly chlorine odors.

It's more than convenience, it's consistent chemical levels with little additional chemicals needed to maintain pool water balance (other than occasional acid to lower pH), it's the improved feel of the water (because of the salt), it's the sparkle of the water (due to the crystaline nature of salt reflecting the sun light), it's the comments from parents of asthmatic children or dermititis conditions that comes back to us saying that their kids have never been able to spend more than a few minutes in a regular chlorinated pool, but can spend hours with a salt pool. I sell salt systems but alot of our sales pitches are not just our marketing pitches, it's what we hear.

I think there's been an over reaction to this pool biz blogger site, but the good thing to come out of this is better maintenance of your pool patio due to the "potential" of damage from the salt.

Chem Geek has gone several rounds with TPG (the pool guy) and so have I. I believe he is an old school pool service guy, who in my opinion, is hesitant to "change". If you read his posts from 2007 and current, I am mentioned several times, and called out by name in one particular one. I challenged him to respond to some basic questions on consistency.
    If salt is doing this, is he experiencing these problem on all his salt pool customers? (he claims to have about 40 pools on salt)
    If salt is doing this, is he experiencing similar type conditions with bleach pool customers?
    If salt is damaging decks and equipment, why is there damage (according to his explanation, due to foot traffic in and out of the pool) in some areas, but not in other similar areas...or rather, same damage is area where there shouldn't be (not high foot traffic areas).

The comment on 97% of new pools are on salt, is dealing with new pool constructions. Although I think this is on the high side, it's definately more than 70% of new pools going in with salt systems. We have pool plasterers that sell our salt systems with new plaster jobs because they realize the better water chemistry to be had with a salt system.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast