Hey, pool! I'M IN CHARGE THIS YEAR!

Notice to our pool: There's a new sheriff in town - me. You're going to be a law-abiding, useful and pleasant member of society this year. No longer is your dirty self going to run roughshod over our time, convenience, energy and budget. First off, I'm gonna open you right - with a clean, dry cover removed by multiple people so you don't get that load of crappy water dropped into you. Second, you're going to be giving up that wimpy little cartridge filter that you completely dominated. THIS YEAR, we're hooking you up to a 3000GPH sand filter. Try staying dirty after that. Plus, I now have the Trouble Free Pool forum in my corner. Give it up, pool.

Anyone else want to add anything?

Got your TFP test kit cocked and ready??

Uhhh... you know, that's a danged good question. The only stuff I have in the way of a test kit is some testing strips I got from the pool store our daughter worked for last year and this thing that is supposed to measure pH and free chlorine when you add 5 drops of a test reagent to a chamber. If there's more than that, or something different, I'm sure I'll find it when I start raiding the reading material.

TF-100 = :sad:this for your pool! When you :study:you will learn how to:whip:your pool into shape! All you need is :testkit: this to take complete control of your pool! Oh and TFP!
Look in my siggy for where to buy it.

Kim:cat:

Welcome to TFP! Hope you ordered your test kit n armed yourself with knowledge.

UPDATES:

1) The sand filter is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Theoretically, I should be able to put the existing through-wall skimmer back on, put the existing pump on to plug leaks and then connect the sand filter in between the skimmer output and the pool "input" hoses. Or at least that's what I'm expecting. I hope I'm not wrong. My wife and daughter are watching like vultures...
2) I did not forget about the test kit. I'll order one of those TF-100s, probably by the end of the week. My ex-pool store employee daughter has pontificated long and loudly about how I will waste money on this kit. We shall see. In the words of the immortal Leroy Jethro Gibbs, "my gut tells me I'm right".

3) You know, in mentioning the sand filter, I'd better bring up another item of concern - the bloody SAND! We're getting the 3000GPH Intex sand unit. Supposedly I need #22 silica sand - which comes in a specific sand grain size range. Home Depot's sand has been dissed, Ace Hardware's is dicey, I don't want to pay for Amazon to ship freaking sand. Anyone know where I can buy the right sand? Do I need to crawl to the pool store with my tail between my legs?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sand is the one thing I will buy from a pool store, although our local Academy Sports, Ace Hardware, Lowe's and Home Depot all carry it too.

Just make sure to get pool sand, and avoid the Quikrete brand. Some people have reported trouble with it being inconsistently sized.

The test kit is essential to the TFP method. You must have a FAS/DPD test that measures free chlorine (fc) and not just total chlorine (tc). See what your daughter says at the end of the summer.

Sand is the one thing I will buy from a pool store, although our local Academy Sports, Ace Hardware, Lowe's and Home Depot all carry it too.

Just make sure to get pool sand, and avoid the Quikrete brand. Some people have reported trouble with it being inconsistently sized.

The test kit is essential to the TFP method. You must have a FAS/DPD test that measures free chlorine (fc) and not just total chlorine (tc). See what your daughter says at the end of the summer.

Thanks for the reply, Jeff. A couple more that I probably should have asked earlier, if I may:

I have a 16 foot diameter 48 inch depth pool also. We are getting a 3000 gallon per hour Intex (I know, but...) sand filter. We had been using the external skimmer/pump which I upgraded to a 1000GPH motor in fall 2014. Is 3000GPH total overkill to the point where it won't work or might damage the pool, or is it overkill enough to do the job VERY WELL and give me good vacuuming power (which is what I'm hoping for).

I'm planning on recycling the skimmer thing and attaching the sand filter to that. With that configuration, how would I vacuum?

Is 3000GPH total overkill to the point where it won't work or might damage the pool, or is it overkill enough to do the job VERY WELL and give me good vacuuming power (which is what I'm hoping for).

I upgraded from a 1600 gph Intex to a 4500 gph this year and couldn't be happier. It won't damage your pool, as long as your return eyeball is big enough to handle the flow. I can't imagine that it wouldn't be.

I'm planning on recycling the skimmer thing and attaching the sand filter to that. With that configuration, how would I vacuum?

My Hayward skimmer came with a plate that goes into the skimmer basket that you attach the vacuum to, like this:

SP1104-1%20Iso.jpg

You can buy them separately. However, I haven't even used mine this year since I bought the Intex robot for $49 at Amazon.

See this thread for my entire pump/filter/robot upgrade saga: New pump arrived today

UPDATES:

2) I did not forget about the test kit. I'll order one of those TF-100s, probably by the end of the week. My ex-pool store employee daughter has pontificated long and loudly about how I will waste money on this kit. We shall see. In the words of the immortal Leroy Jethro Gibbs, "my gut tells me I'm right".

Always trust your gut!

Those test strips (when functioning properly) only give you a mediocre ballpark reading that may possibly leave you close to an outer tolerance. This could leave the door open for greater swings (and time and $$ spent) when needing to balance that pretty water you take pride in maintaining. [emoji6]