Help with bringing down TA

mcfly

Jun 26, 2015
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Hello TFP,

We just opened our pool in Canada following the winter shut down as there have been some nice temps. Things are looking very manageable from a chemical standpoint but I have a question regarding the TA. Since the heat has not yet been turned on and the pool water is 11c (52f) no one is jumping in yet. We added a few trichlor pucks to the skimmer and added 5 ppm worth of dichlor yesterday to slam the pool since it really looks like we have no cya following the winter.

We have no water feature or swimmers so aeration poses a problem at the moment. How can we bring down the TA number to within target.

FC - 5ppm
CC - not registering on .5ppm fas dpd test
CYA - Presumably less than 20 as it did not fade the dot (we are opening with stabilized trichlor and dichlor to slowly bring CYA levels up)
PH - 7 (added muriatic acid to bring down from 7.3 in hopes to lower TA)
TA - 140

Thanks

Can you aim the return upwards so it breaks the surface of the water? I am dealing with a TA of 200 (my fill water is insanely high) and doing that I have been able to add acid 2-3 times a day in my quest to bring it down.

mcfly, what type of pool and equipment do you have there? We don't see it in your signature, so along with Donaldson's suggestion, we might be able to provide a few more ideas if you can add that info for us. Please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

Also, if you haven't done so already, please take a peek at our Recommended Chemicals list (link below). While the use of tabs/pucks have their place, we are very cautious about using them for a long time. I wasn't sure if you were aware of that. We'll look for your pool info and try to give yo some more ideas to help aerate so you can raise the pH while lowering the TA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.