Salt Connection with Metals

Jun 8, 2013
Cape Cod, MA
Noticed that when I introduce salt into the pool that I get the green tint which, short of draining and refilling, is easily solved with sequestrant (Jack's purple stuff). Reaction happens about 30 minutes after introducing bag(s) of salt. I'm curious as to why this happens? I'm using regular salt from home depot at $5/bag vs pool store $30/bag. Are there metals in the salt? Does the salt react with the metals in the water? Figured some of the chemistry majors might be able to satisfy my curiosity. :confused:

Can you be more specific about the salt you are using? Is it road salt?

Pool salt or solar salt (the kind you use in water softeners) is what is recommended.

My dealer told me there are trace metals in salt. He told me this is why I get staining over time when using the SWCG. I don't know if it's true or not, but so far it's the only explanation I've received that seems to make sense.

My pool tests negative for metals btw. But it's obvious from the staining that there are some metals in there, perhaps just a very low level. I've been using Jack's Magic Purple Stuff successfully for years to keep stains at bay. I haven't experienced what you're experiencing.

Oh, and I always use pool salt (I don't have the patience for the slow dissolving solar salt ;) ).

I added over 400 pounds and my pool stayed crystal clear.. I used the salt water softener (blue bag) from lowes...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.