Is this a common issue w all controllers or not ???

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I have the Hayward Aqua-Logic PS-8 controller w the remote inside the house...the temperatures of both the air and water are always "way highter" than what they are reading. Is this typical w all controllers, just mine, or where they are installed? I am thinking since their metal, and if the sun heats them up, the temps are skewed.

Regardless of the issue, is there a way to correct this?

thank you, tstex

In the case of my system the water temp is often wrong when the pool pump starts because it is measuring the temperature at the pump in the shade and the pool is in the direct sun.

So where are the temps being measured?

If it really is wrong you might 1. read the manual and 2. call Hayward customer service and ask if it is adjustable.

Thank you gw...I am not sure where the pool temp is measured, or the air, but I'm pretty sure it is close to the equip pad bc no one is going to run long thermal wires to measure pool water. I'm pretty sure the air temp is measured at the control box, but being metal, and when directly in the sun, we know what impact that has on ambient air measurements.

Thanks again,
Tstex

I reviewed the manual and a diagram states that the temperature sensors [water, air and solar] are located on the left side of the control panel. I went out and looked at the left side of the panel, and there are 3 tiny circular indentations about 1/16" in size and spaced out w about 2" in btw each one. I am not sure if these sensors are inside and taken from there, or if these are the internal points of origin and then the actual thermal sensors are located someone else.

If anyone knows, pls advise. Thank you, tstex

They plug in on the left side, but you should see wires from there. The one for water should be mounted on a PVC pipe somewhere, likely after your filter. The one for air can be put anywhere, but I have mine mounted on the wall next to the controller where it is in the shade for all but an hour or so a day.

For water temp though, I still see a minor difference between the frog floatie, controller sensor, SWG, and heater. Never by more than a degree between them all though.

The water temp sensor is usually located in the PVC pipe, drill a hole and insert and then clamp in place, as it comes out of the pump before the filter, usually. The air temp is usually dangling from the box. Now if your equipment is in direct sunlight during the day, the sensors will read a higher temp because of that. Some people that have this issue have created small shields and place then over the water temp sensor so that it at least is shielded from the sun to prevent it from heating up and showing a false reading.

Thanks Paul....Everyone's help is appreciated.

I was going to build a retractable cover for my equipment, mainly to keep the summer sun off bc UV destroys everything on the pad. Now I am going to do it for sure, and I already built another fence an gate that blocks the equip from the street. This will help tremendously. The fence to the right protects it from the West sun, but the 1-5pm is killer. It's understandable that you do not hang a temp gauge directly in the sunlight or you end up measuring the sun's intensity, and not the ambient air. Therefore, I'll do something to block-out the sun.

Regarding water temp's and the pump stops, a smaller body of water [contained or not] will surely heat-up more than a much larger one. This is even from the ambient air. So there is nothing you can do about that. The only real way to obtain correct pool water temperature on a consistent basis to place a sensor in the deepest end that receives the least amt of sunlight, then inconspicuously run the wire to a place where you can insert it into a digital temp display. Other than that, it's stick the foot in the water...it sure lends to the demise of automated equipment and efficiency.

Regards to all, tstex

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
******CLARIFICATION******

I located the H20 temp sensor and it is as you said, after pump b4 filter; the ambient air sensor is under the control box, out of the sun [I'll give the installer of this a +]. Our house is stucco and it heats up, which the controller is installed. so if the temp sensor is moved out a bit, then I'll do a comparison and block out the sun on the water gauge and do the same.

The water sensor is installed on top AND is secured by a metal "O" clamp. I am not sure why he used metal, but a thick plastic one prob would have been more appropriate when it comes to securing a temp sensor...could have also installed from the bottom too and the pipe itself would have been a nice block..[now we're back to a neutral grade] :)

Once I make the changes, let me know if anyone wants the results and I'll post back - tstex

******CLARIFICATION******
The water sensor is installed on top AND is secured by a metal "O" clamp. I am not sure why he used metal, but a thick plastic one prob would have been more appropriate when it comes to securing a temp sensor...could have also installed from the bottom too and the pipe itself would have been a nice block..[now we're back to a neutral grade] :)

The metal clamp is what the manufacturer sends with it to install. All H2O sensors are installed on the top of the pipe like that.

Install on top or bottom of pipe would make little difference since the actual sensor is at the tip, putting it near the middle of the water flow.

I have the same controller and both the water and air temps are pretty accurate. However, for accurate air temperature, you need to put the sensor in a Stevenson screen or anything that is nearby the sensor that is in direct sun, even if the sensor is in the shade, can and will affect the air temperature measured via radiation.

This is the one I built and the air temperature measured is pretty close to the temperature measured by a nearby weather station:

Stevenson Screen

Note too that the pump must be running for a little while before the water temp is accurate.

Holy Toledo Mas985, that's incredible !!!!! That almost looks like a Cadillac version of a "bug-zapper".

The Stevenson Screen seems to provide all of the basics: elimination direct UV, pathway for air-circulation, suspended from other objects radiant heat, white material to reflect rather than absorb heat, etc... Thank you very much for the detailed information...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.