New pool - Help with variable speed pump and chlorine generator

Aug 4, 2011
We just finished our 18x40 in-ground pool with vinyl liner. They installed a V-Green 165 variable speed pump and an Astralpool VX Series salt cholorinator. The pump has 3 steps plus an overide. We also have a heat pump heater. Here are a few questions:

1) the pump is made to cycle off and on based on the schedule setup for each step. However when the pump kicks off there obviously isn't any water flow so the chlorinator kicks off. I don't think the chlorinator will come back on unless i manually turn it on. should i change the pump to a constant on?
2) this is our second pool. on the last one we used BBB method but didn't want to mess with buying jugs of bleach. is it just trial and error with the settings on the generator to get it to hold the proper FC level?

Jeremiah, I think you'll find that through some experimentation, you'll find what works best when setting your pump's run time so that it produces the SWG produces the amount of FC you need each day. A good place to start would be the TFP Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs page. Others will give their thoughts soon as well I'm sure. Have a nice day.

thanks. they actually just replace the pump with one that works with the chlorinator so they both run at the same time.

next question, what is the best schedule to run the pump. i know it will take some trial and error but any suggestions for a good starting point. Is it better to run it more at night when it's cool or when the day when it's being used?

:bump: I'm surprised you haven't been bombarded by a ton of comments from SWG owners. :) So I'll add one more thought and let the SWG owners correct me if I'm way off base ....... With your SWG set at 100%, try starting at running the pump at about 8 hours per day. You can program your pump to split that up (4 hrs am & 4 hrs pm) and see how that works to maintain your FC in the 4-6 range. As you test the FC, you'll begin to see what needs to be adjusted and when. In general, I believe running the pump a shorter amount of time (hence the SWG also) is better for the life of the SWG (cells). Of course refer to the Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs page for additional details/suggestions.

There, now I've said it. Now watch everyone "SLAM" me for those initial thoughts. :whip:

- - - Updated - - -

And don't forget the all-important CYA! It must be at the minimum of 70 to protect that SWG-produced FC. That's critical.

You'll love your SWG!!

TS has got you set. Just a couple of additional thoughts.

You always want to run your SWG so that that you never go below the relevant minimum FC for your CYA. I tend to do 2 runs of my pump/SWG per 24 hour period- usually early in the morning and mid afternoon but I don't think it really matters whether you do it during the day or night.

Whether you run your pump for longer periods with a lower setting for your SWG or shorter periods with a higher setting is personal preference. I have horrendous electricity charges so I go with the shorter pump time with the higher setting for my SWG- obviously the trade off is that you will shorten the life of your cell at higher levels. In the heat of summer my SWG runs for around 8-10 hours a day on full (but I live in an area with very hot summers) and down to 4 hours on a 50% setting for the SWG in the shoulder seasons. I will turn the SWG off over winter and go with liquid chlorine.

Regular testing with the FAS DPD test will ensure you can modify your SWG settings with seasonal changes and in summer when you'll have lots of swimmers. You may need to give your SWG a boost by adding some bleach/liquid chlorine in summer as your SWG adds chlorine slowly. You will also find that your pH will rise faster with the aeration caused by the SWG so a lower TA will assist with stabilising your pH level. It make take a year or so to work out how your pool responds and works with your SWG but they definitely make life much easier IMO.

Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.