My numbers are a mess!

Apr 23, 2016
Abilene, TX
Just found your site! I need help fixing my numbers. Using the k-2006 test kit.

FC 0
CC 1
pH 7
TA 100
CH 100
CYA 75

Pool is cloudy.

Trying to fix this issue with a husband deployed to the Middle East and 3 kids who want to use the pool!

Hello imanaggie and welcome to TFP. Thanks for holding down the fort while your husband is forward. Sounds like you need to SLAM the pool given that it is cloudy, you aren't holding chlorine, and CC indicates some sort of organic growth in the pool. Check out the pool school link at the top, do a little reading and familiarize yourself with the SLAM procedure. Make sure you find your SLAM level based off the CYA best guess chart, and you will probably want to raise your PH with Borax before starting. Take pics on progress and keep us informed of the process.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Cloudy water coupled with an elevated CC (combined chlorine) would indicate a strong possibility of algae growth. You should perform a "SLAM" (link below). Your CYA must be rounded-up to 80 which would require a SLAM FC level of 31. You have to choices:
1 - Treat water now "as-is" with bleach and keep it maintained at FC of 31
2 - Do a partial drain to lower the CYA a bit so you can maintain a slightly lower FC level.

I suspect your CYA got that high from pool store products, powdered shock, and those tablets in your feeder. I would remove any tablets right away. They raise your CYA quickly.

Your CH (calcium hardness) is also low. That's not related to the SLAM right now, but as soon as the SLAM is over, I would increase that CH to protect the plaster in your pool. Yours should be at least at 250. I'm surprised yours is so low with the hard water we seem to have in most of the state. But do that after the SLAM. Read everything on that SLAM link page and it will work. Let us know if you have any questions.

You'll have that water crystal clear in time for your husband's return. :) :salut:

- - - Updated - - -

Another note about FC testing... I suspect your K-2006 came with instructions to use the 25ml sample size correct? Instead (to save on FAS-DPD reagent drops & powder), use the 10 ML sample size as follows:
10ml sample, multiply drop count by .5 (standard method)
if you have any questions about the FC test or anything else, just let us know.

- - - Updated - - -

For bleach, just hit Wal-Mart or HEB for their generic (plain) bleach - Great Value or Bravo. Use the "Poolmath Calculator" (link below) to help you figure out how much of an item to add. We can help you with the calculator if you've never used it before.

Oh yeah, a little rain never hurt anybody. :) Unless you had torrential rains for an extended period of time it doesn't change much in the way of reading. The more consistent you can keep the SLAM FC level maintained the better. And remember ......... don't be fooled by initial appearances. You still need to pass all 3 SLAM criteria. That gets many people at first when something gets better quick, then they start to back-off. Stay with the SLAM page and everything you are supposed to do consistently. It works better that way.

Welcome to TFP, Way to hold down the fort :) Other than getting wet and playing in the rain it wont hurt anything to keep up the SLAM.. How are your numbers looking today? Post them up so we can see how your doing :)

We also love pictures, check out my signature on how to post...

Numbers are better!
FC 5
CC 0
Ph 7.8
CYA 55
TA 130
CH 330

and the pool is clear!

I need help understanding how to do the OCLT test.

The guy who put in the pump was here to replace a bad pressure gauge and he said there might have been a build up of chemicals and he didn't think it was algae since my pool wasn't green. Any thoughts?

Welcome back :) your numbers are looking better, your TA is a little high but as you add muriatic acid to bring down your PH your TA will also lower. as for having algae and not being green happens more than you think..

OCLT is easy :)

1. wait till it is dark, measure your FC and record number
2. wake up before it is light 6 Am and test again, record that number

if the numbers are the same or within 1 like below (replace your numbers below)

night fc 20
morning fc 19 or 20

If they are like above and your water is clear you are done with the SLAM, your CC is already at 0 so that is good..

I hope this helps :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Numbers are better!
FC 5
CC 0
Ph 7.8
CYA 55
TA 130
CH 330

and the pool is clear!

I need help understanding how to do the OCLT test.

The guy who put in the pump was here to replace a bad pressure gauge and he said there might have been a build up of chemicals and he didn't think it was algae since my pool wasn't green. Any thoughts?

I notice that your FC was 5. With your SLAM level of 31, how long did it take for it to go from 31 before the testing to 5 at the testing? Just a reminder that FC needs to stay at or slightly above SLAM level until you have passed all three tests or you risk back-sliding.

Ohhh....I made a math error! I think my FC was at 15 not 5 (I went back and found my scribbled notes). Thanks for catching that! So I'm still losing tons of chlorine so keep slamming? Do I try to fix the pH too or just worry about the chlorine for now? Do I slam for the current CYA level? I usually can't mess with the pool until the afternoon and that's when I test, is there an optimal time for testing?

Based on your last numbers, you're still SLAMming until you pass the OCLT correct? That looks like your last obstacle. So you're at the point where patience and consistency are key. You must keep that FC up at SLAM level as much as possible until you pass that OCLT. If you are gone all day with no one to help monitor it, you might have to increase it 2-4 ppm to give you a little room for dropping. Speaking of SLAM FC ..... since your last CYA test was 55 (round-up to 60), your SLAM FC level should be 24.

Hang in there aggie, you are obviously very close. Let us know how the OCLT test went last night/this morning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.