Pool light light bulb socket tab broken off

pgc

Apr 19, 2016
Hoover, Alabama
I went to change my light bulb in my hayward pool light and the tab where the bottom of the light makes contact broke off. Is there any way to fix that (i.e. put a dab of solder on the end) or do I need to replace my whole light fixture?

Thanks for the reply. But what I'm talking about is the bottom of the light socket that you screw the light bulb in to. There is a tab that has corroded away that if I can fix it. I won't have to buy a new fixture. Any ideas?

Hi did you solve your problem? Our tab broke off too. Tried soldering but it would not stick. Used flux too. I really do t want to have to buy a new fixture.

If what has broken off is a small tab that holds the bottom of the ring in place, you might be able to use the pool light security clip linked to above. You may have to do a bit of MacGyvering and drill a hole through the ring to secure it but it's designed to hold the top in when the top tab is broken, so it should be able to hold the bottom as long as there's a way to attach it to the ring.

Sorry I misunderstood, if it's the light socket, I think it's time to replace the fixture.

Are you talking about the electrical contact inside the bulb socket?

Can you post a picture?

I ran into the same problem today. Broken tab is in the socket, covering the center spring (bottom contact). There's a screw (left of center) holding the contact plate in place. The part can be removed. The whole thing is shown in the second picture. Small piece of brass with a slight bend.

fullsizeoutput_11a1.jpg
fullsizeoutput_11ae.jpg

This should be a simple part to replace, provided we can find one. It's not listed in the parts breakdown for my light (Pentair/Amerlite).

[Update:] Had scrap brass lying around, so made myself a replacement and it's working. Now I wonder if the bulb need to be replaced, or it was just this stupid thing. :cool:

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a kinda similar issue...[FONT=&quot]We have a Pentair 78458100 Amerlite Underwater Incandescent Pool Light.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]It burned out and when I was changing the bulb I noticed some corrosion in the socket. When I was scraping it out, I may have been a bit too aggressive and one of the small diamond shaped pieces of metal that is riveted in the bottom of the socket broke off (you can see the two of them in your photo. Anyone know if Is this an issue? I replaced the bulb and it is working fine. Any info you have would be appreciated. If its is just one of the two rivets that hold it in place it seems like it would be no big deal but I have not idea if it might be connected to something like a ground on the other side. [/FONT]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.