Apr 18, 2016
Mt Dora FL
Test results
FC= 7
TA=70
PH= 8.0
CYA= 50
CH= 300

2 days ago I added MA because my PH was high. That brought it down to 7.1, and a TA of 90. I checked today and my PH is already up to 8.0 but my TA dropped to 70.

That doesnt make sense to me. My PH seems to always rise, and thats with NO use of the pool, no aeration except for the one jet my pool has. It rained lightly for about 15 mins last night, but I thought that would lower PH.

Im kind of confused.

Last edited:
It's OK to allow your TA to drop a little bit lower. Keep maintaining your pH at let the TA get down to 60 and see if it's better. Keep in mind that it's OK for your pH to get up to 7.8 or so and stay there if it's stable. If you attempt to maintain a pH of 7.4 or 7.6 at all times, you'll end up on the acid/baking soda hamster wheel. However, check your CSI at this lower TA. I suspect that with your low range CH, your CSI may be too low at a TA of 60 ppm. Adding a bit of CH would help with that.

With the quantity of rain that you get in Florida, your CH is likely to drop over time, if the rainfall outpaces evaporation rates and you have water going out an overflow. Rain water has very little CH so if you get a series of large rain events that is overflowing your pool, your CH will drop. When you don't get rain and you're refilling due to evaporation your CH will go up. Unless of course your fill water is very low in CH, which I doubt based on the soil types that are typical in FL.

Could part of my issue be the size of my pool. I need to edit my sig. I "think" its actually 3500 gallons. Its kidney shaped so Ive been working on nailing down the actual size.

What I do know is that I was able to raise my PH from 6.9 to 7.3 with only a couple hours by turning my jet up so that the water bubbled.

Could part of my issue be the size of my pool. I need to edit my sig. I "think" its actually 3500 gallons. Its kidney shaped so Ive been working on nailing down the actual size.

What I do know is that I was able to raise my PH from 6.9 to 7.3 with only a couple hours by turning my jet up so that the water bubbled.

3500 is tiny, what is the length, width and average depth?

Just to update, and for the benefit of others who may have this problem, I think I figured out why PH was rising. When I was back at my pump I turned it off manually and felt water hit my foot. I looked down at pump and noticed a small crack going across the strainer cover. I turned it back on and went to check my jet and sure enough it had air blowing out of it. Stuck a piece of tape across the crack, vented the filter, checked the jet and no more air.

I then ordered replacement part for $24, should be here next week, for now the duck tape fix is working.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.