Sequestering Agent: Once or Weekly?

Terv

Apr 28, 2016
Canada
Excerpt from "How do I use Bromine in my spa?"

Here is a step by step:
1) On each fill balance the water (adjust TA and pH. Add calcium if below 125 for acrylic spas or below 200 for plaster.) If you have metals in your water add a metal sequesterant.

Calcium: Is the target 125 ppm?
(APSP range is 100 - 800 ppm. Ideal 150 - 250 ppm.)

Sequesterant: Our hot tub manufacturer recommends adding a sequestering agent once a week as a stain and scale controller. I am wondering if that is a blanket statement for warranty purposes because they do not know where their hot tubs will end up. My water out of the tap: Copper 0 ppm, Iron 0.1 ppm, TDS 200 ppm. The last time I used the Manufacturer's sequestering agent there was an increase in foam and a de-foamer was recommended. I found several one time sequesterants online. Is there a recommended brand? Once or weekly? Do sequesterants prevent scale build up?

I would not add sequestrant without a demonstrated need to do so. I am not aware of any benefit that a sequestrant provides against scaling. Controlling PH is be best prevention for scaling. In a hot tub it is best to actively lower TA to 50 then add 50 ppm borates.

There is an in depth discussion on PH, TA and borates here, How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

I would not add sequestrant without a demonstrated need to do so. I am not aware of any benefit that a sequestrant provides against scaling. Controlling PH is be best prevention for scaling. In a hot tub it is best to actively lower TA to 50 then add 50 ppm borates.

There is an in depth discussion on PH, TA and borates here, How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

Thank you for the reply. You just confirmed what I was thinking. Everytime I add something another problem emerges. Yes, I have read both discussions.

Calcium: What is the ideal calcium target? 125 ppm?

Again thank you.

Agreed! That is the TFP mantra, only add what you need based on accurate testing. CH is really only needed in a hot tub (non-plaster) to control foaming if it is a problem. Up to 150 ppm is recommended. 125 is fine. I don't test mine, but would expect it to be in the 300s.

My hot tub dealer delivered mine when I wasn't home, and actually added a sequesterant to my first fill. I have city water and no metal issues. If I was here when they came, I wouldn't have allowed it. The second fill I did, I did NOT add it. No problems, as I suspected. You know if you need a sequesterant. Don't let them Cha-Ching you:)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.