Plranger: troubled and confused

Apr 28, 2016
Arab Alabama
i just purchased a new liner for a old pool (above ground) last year. Now I need to replace my pool. The problem is the hole for the skimmer are not the same size. What are the odds of me being able to successfully patch the hole? thanks Phil

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I'm a little confused by your post as well. You're wanting to use the liner you purchased for your old pool on a new pool? Is it possible to use the skimmer from the old pool with your new set up?

If you could fill out your signature with details about your pool, that would help. Edit Signature

No the old pool is 11 years old and in that time they seem to have gone from a square skimmer to a rectangle. The holes in the pool wall are cut into them from factory. I have talked to several people and get completely different answers.

The holes in the pool are precut for the skimmer that comes with the pool. thanks for the response. i didn't know the question was complicated. i have seen patch kits for sale, but I also have had people tell me that you can't patch a hole that big successfully.

Question isn't really complicated, we just are not understanding exactly what you want to do. Pictures would certainly help.

Reading the above it appears that your liner came with the wide (rectangular) holes, but you pool has the old square holes (taller but less wide?). Can you give us the dimensions of the liner holes and pool holes so we can understand exactly how much patching would need to be done? How many skimmers need to be patched?

Is it too late to return the liner and order the one with the correct skimmer holes?
Would it be easier to replace the skimmers with the correct style as opposed to patching the liner?

Is it a metal side pool, could you cut the wide skimmer out of the pool to match the liner.. the wide mouth skimmer gives better skimming action :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you trying to use an old liner that you bought last year and installed in your old pool in a new pool?