Jandy 3 way plumbing options

deanrinehart

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 28, 2009
Bethlehem, PA
Jandy 3 way valves are marked with the center common port as 'inlet'...I assume because in normal operation you can't block this port (without unscrewing the handle and bypassing the stops). Is it ok to plumb these valves using one of the other ports as a common collector (or outlet)?

Hope this makes sense to someone...

Sure. But you should understand that when you use a different port as the inlet the flow rates will not be balanced between the two out going lines. The straight through route will get more of the water than the right angle route will when the valve is set to have them both completely open. It also becomes easy to block the new inlet pipe by accident, blocking all water flow.

Ditto to what Jason said. If you're energetic and want to reduce the chance of inadvertently closing the off center inlet port, all you have to do is unscrew the 8 screws and rotate the entire top 90* so that the stops protect that port.

I also want to mention that you can equalize the flow to the 2 ports by turning the valve to slightly block the straight through line - this may cause some additional back pressure, but I suspect it would be minimal :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.