Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jandy 3 way plumbing options

1. Back To Top    #1

Jandy 3 way plumbing options

Jandy 3 way valves are marked with the center common port as 'inlet'...I assume because in normal operation you can't block this port (without unscrewing the handle and bypassing the stops). Is it ok to plumb these valves using one of the other ports as a common collector (or outlet)?

Hope this makes sense to someone...
    Owner built 32,000g Diamond Brite IGP with 1,300g spa, Jandy 2.0hp ePump, DEV60 filter, LXi 400k btu NG heater, PS-8 control, QT 1.5hp blower, WaterColors, Liquidator, PoolBlaster, Blue Diamond

Lehigh Custom Pools

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Jandy 3 way plumbing options

Sure. But you should understand that when you use a different port as the inlet the flow rates will not be balanced between the two out going lines. The straight through route will get more of the water than the right angle route will when the valve is set to have them both completely open. It also becomes easy to block the new inlet pipe by accident, blocking all water flow.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Jandy 3 way plumbing options

Ditto to what Jason said. If you're energetic and want to reduce the chance of inadvertently closing the off center inlet port, all you have to do is unscrew the 8 screws and rotate the entire top 90* so that the stops protect that port.

I also want to mention that you can equalize the flow to the 2 ports by turning the valve to slightly block the straight through line - this may cause some additional back pressure, but I suspect it would be minimal
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)