2hp Hayward plumbing question

Apr 28, 2016
NY
First post. Hope to get some answers. I have a 20x40 in ground pool. The underground piping is all inch and a half. All of the above ground piping, jandys, and multiport are two inch.
I'd like to upgrade to a 2hp hayward. I'm concerned I may starve the pump. Would the inch and a half suction lines provided enough water?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Tom.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Which pump? A 2HP SuperPump is much smaller than a 2HP Super II. The HP is only part of the story.

Why do you think you want a bigger pump?

But, no can not really "starve" a pool pump with 1.5" pipes. The smaller pipe will just raise the head loss and lower the water flow some from what it could be with larger pipes.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

I went to my original pool builder today. Pool was built in 2004. Composite walls, and (2) inch and a half suction lines. He claims that because I have two suction lines it should be fine. He would be concerned if I only had one suction line. The exact model number for the new pump is sp2615x20. Think I'm going to go ahead and do it. Thoughts?

Sorry for the delay. My 1.5hp hayward isn't giving me enough pressure at the returns, with two water features. Was hoping for a little more pressure at the returns to help move the surface debris to the skimmers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.